Boyds Gunstocks ??

pyscodog

Been shopping for a stock for a Mod. 70 Winny and about all I find without a long waiting period is a Boyd's Thumbhole Varmint laminate stock. I know a few don't like the TH stocks or the laminates, but those who do, can you give me your thoughts on the Boyd's stock. (I'll listen to the ones that don't like them too!)

Good, cuz I hate them. Hate Boyd's, hate laminates, and the only way you could make one any worse is to put a thumbhole in it. How's that??
grin.gif

2much, you shouldn't bottle up your feelings it'll eat ya up inside. So tell us how you really feel lol.

Psycho I'm contemplating doing the same thing. I picked up an argentine mauser action, 22-250, bull barrel with a broken stock for really really cheap. Like 80 bucks cheap! Too bad because it was a gorgeous piece of wood. Anyhow the boyds is not too expensive and will give me an idea if it's a shooter and if I want to keep it.

I just had a rifle restocked with a Boyds Prairie Hunter laminated stock and I did a lot of looking before I went this route. My reasoning to go with a Boyds was due to a LOT of different factors and the Boyds fit the bill. I personally like the looks of the laminates and the fact that they are heavier was also a benefit to me. As far as thumbholes, I asked lots of questions about these too since I have not had one myself. I pretty well got identical responses and here is a list of some Pros vs. Cons.

Pros:
1)Good Grip with more stability (some will argue this)
2)More comfortable due to natural alignment of wrist on grip
(some will argue this, too)
3)Both of the above contributing to better shot placement
(some will argue this)

Cons:
1)Your hand may not be large enough to grip and reach the
trigger due to the different style grip (for people with
short fingers like me)
2)Takes longer to reach and operate the safety, especially
if it is a tang safety
3)While holding/carrying the rifle with your thumb/hand in
the grip you can severely injure your thumb/hand due to
grip design-----I had a guy tell me about breaking his
thumb due to falling and landing on a rock and he hit
right where the grip is.

These are the things that really stuck out in my mind when I was considering the thumbhole and also why I DO NOT and WILL NOT have one.

I purchased an unfinished laminated stock from Boyd's for a Remington ADL a while back. Finished the stock, free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action. The stock turned out great, but it did add some weight. My dad has done the same w/ a couple other guns and they turned out nice as well. Never had a thumbhole stock.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunGood, cuz I hate them. Hate Boyd's, hate laminates, and the only way you could make one any worse is to put a thumbhole in it. How's that??
grin.gif

lol.gif
I knew this was coming 2Much, thats why I put in the last sentence in my post. I remember your feelings about TH stocks,
thumbup.gif

I could possibly live with a laminated stock, but not a thumbhole, and not a Boyds. The 2 Boyds I bought had the worst inletting of anything I have ever seen. Maybe they are better at it now, not sure. Another was left out in a pole barn in Northern Michigan form November until late spring time and it warped and forend slightly split(came unglued). It may have been put away wet or had snow on it, but I was still shocked at what I saw. I lost the pics of it because they were on one of the $5 throw away cameras and I broke it......

I have a Boyds non TH on my custom .243 Win. Glassed the action and floated the barrel. I do wish it was a TH stock as I do prefer them. I my self do not care for the SYN. stocks no matter who builds them, I like the looks of wood.
If it has good glue it should be fine.
I think that a laminated stock is much stiffer than a Plain wood stock and will show less tendency to warp.

I do have one rifle with a TH stock and it feels very natural to the hands and makes for easy shouldering and sight acquisition.

DAB

I've got both thumb hole and non and love them. The only in letting issue I've had with any is the one I just got for a ruger m77. I need to open up the hole for the trigger a bit. On my Mauser 308 I had to make the notch for the bolt handle because I had it converted to bent bolt. I love them.

I would kind of, like getting a laminate varminter, but I also hate thumbhole stocks. All I see listed in a varminter is the thumbhole types.

When I get a Laminate for a varmint rig, it will be a Bobby Hart, from stockysstocks with the aluminium bedding block. I'm not a fan of thumb holes, either...

I have no experience with them but today I ordered a classic pepper laminate for my Stevens 200 build. I'll let you know when I get it.

I bought a boyds stock for my winchester model 70 super shadow and in the proccess cranking down the center stock bolt down to 30in lbs it cracked. I called them and complained about it. Thier response was that because I didn't take it to a "certified gunsmith" they would not cover it under thier warranty so I was out $150.00.

Originally Posted By: MahamariI have no experience with them but today I ordered a classic pepper laminate for my Stevens 200 build. I'll let you know when I get it.
I've got this one on my Mauser 308. Is nice

The one that warped was on a 98. Black pepper laminate, 25-06. Had a floorplate with a pronghorn engraved on it from Brownells. Shepherd scope. My bud still owns the gun(which I sold him). It has a new stock of course......

I recently picked up a stevens 200 LA and intend on replacing the tupperware with a thumbhole from Boyds. I have never owner a thumbhole but always liked how they shoulder and feel in the gun shops. The stevens have blind magazines without the hinged floorplates. The additional material may tend to help keep them from warping.

I have a Boyd's Ross Featherweight Thumbhole on my M700 .223AI and love it. It was unfinished, so I had to do a bit of woodwork to finish up the inletting, and sanding, and finished it with a satin Spar Urethane clear. No problems so far, and I don't expect any.

Back