22 mag twist rate

EasternPredHunter

I contacted Henry Repeating Arms on a 22 mag of theirs I intend to pick up. They told me it has a 1:9 twist rate. What bullet weight/weights would would be the best for the rate of twist? Is there an online calculator or a formula for this?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhy is that ?

Because most 22 mags are 1:16, just like Heretic displayed with his 2 guns. I know savage's 22 mags are 1:16 as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhy is that ?

I think they were the right size.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhy is that ?

Because most 22 mags are 1:16, just like Heretic displayed with his 2 guns. I know savage's 22 mags are 1:16 as well.

So what . Do all .223rems have the same twist ? Nope.

Pac-Nor offers these in rimfire barrels....
3 groove 16"
5 groove 16" 17"
6 groove 6" 8" 10" 14" 16" 18" 20"
9 groove 16" 17"
Polygonal 16"

Do you really think Henry would use a 9 twist if they didn't think it would work ?

I didnt say thay all 22 mags would be the same, just 1:16 seemed to be the most commom, so when i heard 1:9 i thought it seemed a bit drastic.

I would guess that they would do ok with heavier bullets then.

Thanks

I've been getting good groups with my Marlins and the 40grn Winch Silver box, whatever those are. Haven't tried the 50grn ammo b/c the accuracy is good w/ the 40grn. Kills the rabbits just as dead.

THe 1/16 twist is fine for the 40 grain and lighter slugs ,the 1/9 twist will stabilize the lite bullets and the heavier 50 grain slugs to.

Not sure you can over stabelize a bullet, but I'm far from a twist rate expert.
I shoot the 40gr Winnie's in my Henry with great accuracy, but I've never tried the 50's.
You have my curiosity going now though and since I happen to have some 50's on hand, I'll try a few out back this afternoon and let ya know if they tumble, or go flying off into space, or do what ever it is that over stabelized bullets do.
I doubt they will though, but by god we'll know for sure.
Well,,, we'll know untill someone comes along and says I'm wrong anyway.

Stand by.

Last edited:
Quote:I'll try a few out back this afternoon and let ya know if they tumble, or go flying off into space, or do what ever it is that over stabelized bullets do.

Stand by.

Please let me know what time you are going to be doing this experiment. I'll find shelter for the wife, dog and myself.

Thank you.

A regular tin-foil hat should suffice.
Be a different story if it were a hummer, but it's just a 22mag.

Just in case though, test fire is scheduled for 1400 hrs Pacific time.
You've been warned.

OK,,,, here ya go EPH.

Two five shot groups shot at 50yrds with iron sights.
50gr Feds on the left, 40gr Winnie JHP's on the right.
004-1.jpg

Every thing went as planned except for that one errant shot that took off for god knows where.
Sorry bout that DC. Hope the dogs OK.

Well,,,, the Winnie was just a tich over an inch, and since we only talk about the best groups here on the interweb sooo,,, "Bout an inch".

010-1.jpg

Seriously though, the Fed 50's were just under an inch and a quarter, so I guess both are shooting about 2moa, which is fine for the small game and predators under 50#'s that I use it for. Course, most of the Coon and Cat are treed, so shots aren't very far.

In short, quit over thinking stuff like twist rates and just buy the dang thing and have some fun.

Back