Finally got to shoot my "new" Ruger M77 V/T in .204 Ruger

Jerry Tracy

I had recently aquired a used Ruger M77 in the Varmint/Target model and it was chambered in .204 Ruger. I'd mounted a 6.5-16.5x Nikon Monarch on it and was really anxious to send some slugs down the tube and see how good it would do. I got it on paper at 25 yards and then backed up to 100 to put the final tune on it. It didn't take much tuning. I started out about 8 inches or so high but dead on L to R so I dialed it down 32 clicks and it came in right at an inch and a half high at a hundred yards. I then decided to go down another 2 clicks and left one click and put a 5 shot group an inch high that you could cover with a nickel, 3 of em in one hole. Needless to say I was pretty excited. I was shooting factory Remmy 32 grainers and decided on this cartridge after talking with several folks on different forums. Most folks said that I would probably have better luck with the 32's as opposed to the 40's. I guess now its time to start trying to fine tune with handloads and they should shoot better but they're gonna be hard pressed to beat the factory Remmy's.

You'd be surprised how accurate them little guns are. Mine that I had in a dpms was so accurate I got bored shooting it. To bad we have so much wind here and them little pills really don't like the wind

Reloads I had a 1-12 and only shot screw factory through it mine like the 32-35 gr stuff better than the 39-40 I shot some 45gr hornady soft points and was blowing primers I don't know why it was new ammo but it was swelling the base of cases too I stuck to my home rolled and never bought factory again

I had one of those and it shot reloaded 40gr Bergers very well. The fella I bought it off just shot factory 40gr Vmax at the range and they also shot well.

My buddy I sold it to had poor luck with it in the wind with the factory 40gr Vmax. Would not group well at 100yds and I do know he is an excellent rifle shot.

I had 40gr Bergers in 2.5in group at 450yds just laying down prone with a bipod. Speed was cruisin at 3950fps but these little pills still sway in the wind out that far.

Nice looking rifle
thumbup.gif
Try 32gr Vmax factory loads if staying with factory stuff. I shot a 1/2in group with those a few weeks before I sold it. That being said, should you decide to part with it, let me know.

Back