hornady .224 sp vs spsx ??

cowpoke

I see where hornady makes an sp series and an sp sx series lead soft point bullets and describes the spsx as more explosive at lower velocity, or better suited for 223 varmint purposes.

Also Sierra offers similar choices in either the sp or the blitz series.

So the question is...

when using a 223 would the tougher bullet be a better choice for coyote and the more explosive bullet be a better choice for critters like ground hogs, prairie dogs, long range skunk sniping etc?

Originally Posted By: cowpokeI see where hornady makes an sp series and an sp sx series lead soft point bullets and describes the spsx as more explosive at lower velocity, or better suited for 223 varmint purposes.

Also Sierra offers similar choices in either the sp or the blitz series.

So the question is...

when using a 223 would the tougher bullet be a better choice for coyote and the more explosive bullet be a better choice for critters like ground hogs, prairie dogs, long range skunk sniping etc?

Yup!!

The 40 gr SPSX's came apart in My 1/8 twist, however they shot well in My 1/12 twist. Id definately go for a tougher bullet, watch the speed and RPM's. Good luck.

Its all about rpm with the spsx bullets. A little too much and you will think you are missing all the time! They sure do whack a p-dog thou.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: travjcIts all about rpm with the spsx bullets. A little too much and you will think you are missing all the time! They sure do whack a p-dog thou.

100%!!
It is ALL about RPM. Over in the ballistic tab on Shootersforum I have 22-cal bullet RPM limits listed.
The V-max & SP's have the same limit(around 290,000RPM) the SPSX limit is 240-260,000RPM.
As always, barrel smoothness dependant; YMMV

Good info..

This rifle has a 12 twist so I will likely be ok. looking at the 50 and 55 grain options.

I did have an 8 twist 223 for a little while and some of the loads I was trying out would make the bullets come apart.

for what it's worth, the 55gr spsx will drop a dog pretty quick, but for something known to be coyotes only I wouldnt reccomend it. I'd go with something like a 60gr hp.

Back