9mm OAL and pressure ???

Kingzero

I have never reloaded pistol cartridges before and have a couple questions.

Made a couple dummy rounds to test in my pistol. Bullets are Berry's plated 124gn. HBFP. I seated them to 1.120" based on my Speer manual. They were too long and jammed into the lands. I kept seating deeper until they chambered easily and ended up with 1.085".

My Lyman manual doesn't list a 124gn bullet but the OAL listed for a 125gn. HP is 1.075"

Berry's website says the hollow base bullets are longer than a regular flat base bullet. The length of the bullets are 0.556". I am worried that the longer bullet being seated deeper will result in higher pressures.

Sooooo...is an OAL of 1.085" ok, and will the pressures be affected that much?

I will be using Titegroup. Speer says 4.0 for a starting point on the 124gn flat points. Gun is a Glock 33 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroI have never reloaded pistol cartridges before and have a couple questions.

Made a couple dummy rounds to test in my pistol. Bullets are Berry's plated 124gn. HBFP. I seated them to 1.120" based on my Speer manual. They were too long and jammed into the lands. I kept seating deeper until they chambered easily and ended up with 1.085".

My Lyman manual doesn't list a 124gn bullet but the OAL listed for a 125gn. HP is 1.075"

Berry's website says the hollow base bullets are longer than a regular flat base bullet. The length of the bullets are 0.556". I am worried that the longer bullet being seated deeper will result in higher pressures.

Sooooo...is an OAL of 1.085" ok, and will the pressures be affected that much?

I will be using Titegroup. Speer says 4.0 for a starting point on the 124gn flat points. Gun is a Glock 33 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

You will be fine.

They are longer on the outside, but shorter on the inside
smile.gif

Always start low and work up your loads. If you do that, you will stay out of trouble.

I figured it was cause of the outside profile of the bullet. They are not tapered as much as a round nose bullet.

Berry's website says not to load past the half way mark when using data for jacketed bullets. I will start low and work up as always.

Thanks for the help.
thumbup1.gif

Back