Cleaning. , Cleaning and Cleaning

Not much love for the stainless brush here...I've used the Hoppe's Tornado brushes in the past and never had a problem....I don't see the big deal. I've heard rumors of people rounding over the rifling with them....seriously??? What are they running it through the bore with a drill? If a barrel is soft enough a stainless brush is going to ruin it in one cleaning I'd say it was junk already.
rolleyes.gif

I ran into that when my Dad gave me his 1966 Model 70 in 30-06. All he used to clean it was Hoppe's #9. The barrel had loads of copper in it. I used the original Wipe-Out and it took numerous applications (15+) and 2 overnight soaks, to get this barrel clean. Turn the barrel over once in a while since the foam turns to liquid and settles in the bottom of the barrel. Also, instead of letting one application soak for 30 hours, change the foam several times to get fresh cleaner in there.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Not much love for the stainless brush here...I've used the Hoppe's Tornado brushes in the past and never had a problem....I don't see the big deal. I've heard rumors of people rounding over the rifling with them....seriously??? What are they running it through the bore with a drill? If a barrel is soft enough a stainless brush is going to ruin it in one cleaning I'd say it was junk already.
rolleyes.gif

Have you ever put a Savage barrel in a lathe? They are WAY softer than I expected them to ne.

Originally Posted By: FC363Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Not much love for the stainless brush here...I've used the Hoppe's Tornado brushes in the past and never had a problem....I don't see the big deal. I've heard rumors of people rounding over the rifling with them....seriously??? What are they running it through the bore with a drill? If a barrel is soft enough a stainless brush is going to ruin it in one cleaning I'd say it was junk already.
rolleyes.gif

Have you ever put a Savage barrel in a lathe? They are WAY softer than I expected them to ne.

No I haven't put a Savage in a lathe...he's talking about a Winchester and I haven't seen Winchester barrels to be soft. I'm no gun smith but I do work with metal a lot in the machine tool trade and I can't see to many materials where small strands of stainless are going to wear right through them.

I think there is more paranoia on this thread than experience concerning SS brushes....just because somebody's uncle's friend's sister's daughter said it to be the case it doesn't mean it really is.

Sweets 7.62 cleaner.

Use a nylon brush as using a bronze brush with this cleaner will give you the blue/green color on the patch. (7.62 will eat bronze brushes and give you a false reading)

Are you making any progress there RB? How about a update? IMO you had a good method going with the kg1/brush, montana xtreme

Dixie dog, you better get the message on not using stainless steel brushes in a rifle barrel, because stainless brushes ruin barrel real quick!

Hooked I did exactly what Ackleyman had posted on using the 0000 steelwool and JB bore paste. I then took a few patches of Kroil and got the JB out of bore. I then hit it with Wipeout and set it up for the night. The next day the patch came out clean. Ackleyman usually hits the nail on the head and has given me a lot of great advice. Rick

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got er cleaned up. I went back to check the st.wool tip, might come in handy. I have seen a barrel as neglected as yours before...not much I could do with it in 15 minutes.
thumbup1.gif

We are going to dyna coat the barrel this weekend and I will show my buddy how to clean it. You can bring a horse to water but can't make him drink. We will see

Back