Ruger M77 Compact in 7mm-08

savage_man

Hey all,
Just orderd one of these compacts from Ruger in 7mm-08. From what I read they seem like pretty good guns. I like the way the point wiout that long barrel. What do you all think of them? How is the trigger and bench rest accuracy? Its coming with a Leupold vx-1 3-9x40. Recomend other glass? I'll be hunting mainly in west TN and wooded areas but I might take it to the big Island of Hawaii and hunt sheep. Think it'll do alright? Little feed back from folks with hands on experiance would be great. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
The UL with the 20 inch barrel, fits and balances better for me. And ain't quite so hard on the ears.......They heat up fast...

I love 7mm-08. I had a Rem 700 mountain rifle in that caliber for many years.

I have used it on wild pigs/exotics in CA, Antelope-Mule Deer-Whitetail deer in WYO.

Great caliber that is accurate out to 400 yrds and medium recoil. Real fun to shoot and carry in the field.

Good luck hunting

Wayne

Awesome, I got it partly so I would have a lighter recioling gun (compaired to my 30-06) with a shorter length of pull for my wife and nephews... maybe my kids but thats gunna be a few more years unless the Lord deides to change my plans. I'm excited to put some rounds through it... won't be till Christmas being that I'm deployed right now and I wouldn't get to go home till then.... Oh well, I can always dream till then huh?

A guy I hunt with has one in 308. With 180gr loads it is a handful and QUITE loud. I like the 7-08 better, as it is probably my all-time favorite whitetail round. The little 77 is extremely maneuverable in "box blinds" or "hunting shacks", but also very loud when fired in one. I mean ear-ringing loud. It is a great cartridge and a handy little woods rifle, I think you'll like it.....

I have one in .308, my Dad and a hunting buddy of mine have them in 7-08. All shoot well and are nice to carry. I think you'll like it........

Chuck

Back