Friday The 13th...(Pics Included)

Yotezapper I'm trying to break myself of using rattle snakes for pillows.
wink.gif

midwestpredator, that story of the snake down the prairie dog hole would getting me dancing pretty good as well. A few years I had a similar experience. I'd spotted a group of young coyotes near their den. They were a little over 500 yards away. After they went down the hole I decided to hike over and investigate. As I got close the terrain looked much different than it did from 500 yards. There were actually several den sized holes in the ground, and I wasn't sure which one they had been by. So I walked up to the first hole. I stood right over the hole and looked down. There, only about a foot below my feet, was one of the biggest rattle snakes I've seen. I jumped back and mentally concluded the coyotes were definitely NOT in that hole! I decided to leave that hole alone and was a lot more cautious about approaching the other den holes in the area. I did find the hole they were in a short time later. The next day I went back and checked on the hole with he snake. He was there, however, this time he was just outside of the hole sunning himself. I introduced his head to the business end of my shotgun. He was nearly 5 feet long and had 13 rattles and a button. I threw him in the back of the truck and looked up he two track I was parked on, and saw another huge rattle snake of equal size. So I killed that one. Then I walked back and peeked in the hole where the first big snake had been the day before, and there was yet another rattle snake in the hole. However this one wasn't as big as the other two. I dispatched it and decided to leave the area as I was about rattled snaked out. I get to the gate to leave the pasture and as I'm walking from my truck to the gate, I thought I heard a buzz. I looked but didn't see anything. I unlatch the gate and laid it down. Go back and pull my truck through. I then walk over and pick up the gate and hear the buzz again. I look down and right in my boot track is a baby rattle snake all coiled up. Well I had the gate post in my hand and it served as a pretty good jack hammer. T'weren't much left of that little snake after I was done as my adrenaline was kind of in over drive after seeing 4 rattle snakes in just a few hours. I was so keyed up after that I didn't return to that ranch again until there was snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Yotezapper I'm trying to break myself of using rattle snakes for pillows.
wink.gif

midwestpredator, that story of the snake down the prairie dog hole would getting me dancing pretty good as well. A few years I had a similar experience. I'd spotted a group of young coyotes near their den. They were a little over 500 yards away. After they went down the hole I decided to hike over and investigate. As I got close the terrain looked much different than it did from 500 yards. There were actually several den sized holes in the ground, and I wasn't sure which one they had been by. So I walked up to the first hole. I stood right over the hole and looked down. There, only about a foot below my feet, was one of the biggest rattle snakes I've seen. I jumped back and mentally concluded the coyotes were definitely NOT in that hole! I decided to leave that hole alone and was a lot more cautious about approaching the other den holes in the area. I did find the hole they were in a short time later. The next day I went back and checked on the hole with he snake. He was there, however, this time he was just outside of the hole sunning himself. I introduced his head to the business end of my shotgun. He was nearly 5 feet long and had 13 rattles and a button. I threw him in the back of the truck and looked up he two track I was parked on, and saw another huge rattle snake of equal size. So I killed that one. Then I walked back and peeked in the hole where the first big snake had been the day before, and there was yet another rattle snake in the hole. However this one wasn't as big as the other two. I dispatched it and decided to leave the area as I was about rattled snaked out. I get to the gate to leave the pasture and as I'm walking from my truck to the gate, I thought I heard a buzz. I looked but didn't see anything. I unlatch the gate and laid it down. Go back and pull my truck through. I then walk over and pick up the gate and hear the buzz again. I look down and right in my boot track is a baby rattle snake all coiled up. Well I had the gate post in my hand and it served as a pretty good jack hammer. T'weren't much left of that little snake after I was done as my adrenaline was kind of in over drive after seeing 4 rattle snakes in just a few hours. I was so keyed up after that I didn't return to that ranch again until there was snow on the ground.

No doubt!! Its amazing how excited those things can get a guy, I wouldntbe able to handle myself after seeing that many in such short order

Glad y'all enjoyed the story and pics. Just went out last night and did a little locate howling. Sounds like it will be a great year for hunting coyotes. Lots and lots of coyotes were howling back. A friend also stopped by with another rattle snake to skin that he had killed early last night. Between my friend and I we've killed 3 rattle snakes this week and it's only Wednesday!

Hey brother!

Good calling and shooting my friend!

5SPD and i were out last month and we did a night set that went from 7PM until 9:30am, every step i took i was waiting for the strike from a prairie rattler!

Never did see one and never did hear one! Whew!!!

Good job on the hunt and the nomination;-)

Kevin

nice job on the dog, I agree with you on the 50 grn v-max have been shooting that bullet for months now and it really drops em in there tracks, with no holes.
keep at it.

Back