Varmint Scopes

Mr. Horses - You might be correct, but if you are tired of this conversation it is easy enough not to hit the button that says "Varmint Scopes". The young man that started this tread has indicated that he doesn't have much money and is trying to get into the most scope for the least money. No matter how good a Leopold, Burris, Sightron ot Nightforce scope may be, if the man doesn't have serious money to spend then he can't get into any of them. Simple as that. He isn't the only one that finds himself in this boat so this could be a good thread for those that are trying to take a decision on affordable optics.

Michael

I just went out this Sunday and shot a yote at about 200 yds with my new Ruger VT .223 and Simmons AETEC 12X 44MM scope. There was very little light and it hit it's mark. I also eliminated a Jack @ 75 yds - dead on!

It was on sale for $130.00 and I couldn't be happier!

Moose

I have three of the Tasco World Class 6x24x44 scopes on my varmint rifles which run from 223 to243. Two of my friends have the same scopes. My buddy bumped his gun which was sitting on the Bulls bag on the rear corner of the truck bed and it landed on the scope bending it. I talked him into sending back to Tasco to see if it could be repaired. Tasco sent him a new scope at no charge.
You can't ask for anything more.

Michael's right. You asked.
In an less exspensive scope, I would opt for the Tasco. They have never let me down like some of the others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif MP

I have owned one of BSA's Contender 4x-16x and will state from experience "save you money!". It was not clear, would not hold zero. It even had one of the target turret knobs on crooked from the factory. I was very disappointed for a $100 scope.

I have owned a few Bushnell's. The older "Made in Japan" were pretty good.

I currently have one Tasco, the Varmint/Tactical 2.5x-10x that has been riding on a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. It has not come apart and i have only had to adjust it once after the initial sight in. I am not saying that it will hold up, just that it has thus far.

I own several Leupold/Burris scopes. I have never had a single problem with them. I am convinced that they are the ONLY pistol scope that will stand up to any kind of long term recoil. The rifle scopes have given me the same quality service.

IMHO, You really do get what you pay for in scopes.

mike

Thanks Michael for clearing that up.. Im just thinking about going dow to wally world and buying the Aetec down there. It is i think 160 or so. I might wait though till we go to Bass Pro Shops in Tulsa. Im sure they will have it cheaper there. I recently had a Tasco 4-12x44. It was a scope they had couple years ago on sale for 89 out of cabelas. So my gma got it for christmas for me. Just last weekend i was out hunting pigs and i was walking around and the screw fell out of the place where you twist to change powers. So now its stuck on 4 power.. I have had it too long for it to be sent back in. That why im in need of a new scope. I have been wanting to buy a Aetec for a long time.. Thanks all for your suggestions and help!

SA

StealthArcher - The following is a copy of a post that I did a couple of days ago. I think that you will be pleasantly suprised with the prices. Buy the way, I'd send the Tasco back, I'm willing to bet that they will fix it for you for free. They used to have a life time guarentee. You can not control the screw falling out og the power ring on your scope.

This is a good point for you fellas that are looking for the most scope for the money that you have to spend. Don't go with Midway or Cabelas. their prices are generally better than you will find at your local sporting goods stores but several internet sites can beat the pants off from them. Natches, bearbasin or S.W.F.A. will almost always be significantly less expensive. Last week I was looking at B&L 4200's. Midway and several others had it for about $450.00, www.swfa.com has it for $379.00. Interesting enough the sites vary. One site will be the cheapest for Pentax, the other will be the cheapest for Leopold, the next will be the cheapest for Burris. You need to look around but the look can save you hundreds of dollars in some cases.

Michael
P.S. The Scope that you are looking at is on sale for $139.95. You might look at the 3x10x44 mag. I have this scope and like it very much on the internet the going price is $99.95

I have had problems with two bsa contender scopes. So far I am not a big fan of them. I do have a bushnell trophy series scope (inexpensive) that i think does a great job. Its clear and holds a zero as well.

Thanks Michael. I have looked at Natches site. Everything in their is cheaper than in cabelas.. I have not looked at the other 2 though. I think i better go take a look before i do anything else..

I will email tasco and see what they can do for me.. Im sure they have a site? Thanks for your help Michael!

Not posted to pass any judgement on anyone or any specific scope manufacturer. Just a thought about scopes in general.Some may know this information and some may not.All scopes are based on a DMS system.Degreees, minutes,seconds.Breaking this down another way a scopes foundation is based on MOA minute of angle. Two systems or methods of useing a scope as a sighting tool can be employed for the purpouse of sighting or shooting. One method is a point-blank-range method. the other is a point-of-aim, point-of-impact method.Some refer to as a base zero method.Elevation and windage adjustments are key to accuracy and precision.Just my view if a rifleman understands MOA minute of angle and how it relates to scopes (optics) and cartridges he or she will have a understanding of a specific cartridge and the chosen scopes capability along with chosen cartridge.Not to be long winded or come off like some expert. However repeatability of adjustments for both windage and elevation along with quality of glass will have a effect on your ability to shoot your rifle/scope/cartridge combo effectivily.Just my view but with optics you get what you pay for. Reliability,Repeatabilitily of adjustments,and true minute of angle adjustments come at a cost.I to am a Leupold fan.

Back