.223 1:8 twist??

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterWhat bullet weights stabilize properly out of a 1:8 twist 223 barrel? I would like to shoot everything from 55-77 grain. I was told 1:8 would be perfect for this and 1:7 was an overkill. What do you guys think?

That's fine, but this was you original post. I was just trying to clarify. It says nothing about barrel length.

With a -8 twist you will be fine. Regardless of barrel length, to a point.

Not just trying to argue here, but I think barrel length is a fair consideration to mention when it comes to AR twist selection. Most rifles don't have such a wide range of barrel lengths available, and we all know how much barrel length effects the 223/556. A guy doesn't HAVE to go with a one-size-fits-all rule for AR's, because in my experience, one rule doesn't apply for all barrel lengths.

I'd personally say that a 1:8" in a 24" tube is just robbing you of velocity, whereas a 1:8" in a 16" tube is next to necessary if you're planning on using 70-77grn pills. There's just so much difference in the cartridge between 2750fps and 3400fps, it's definitely fair to mention it. My "ideal" twists would be 16-18" in 1:8" or 22-24" in 1:9". Rather I suppose a 1:8.5" would suit quite well for any length, but personally, I'm cutting the tube to a certain length with a certain MV in mind and the barrel length isn't going to change thereafter, so why not match the twist rate specifically to the anticipated MV from that tube?

The question from the OP was about bullet stability, not velocity.

1-8 will stabilize to 77gr. just fine or 1-7 also. Barrel length has little to do with that in this case.

Doesent twist and velocity go together? If the barrel does not provide the length needed to achieve the proper velocity, will the bullet still stabilise?

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Doesent twist and velocity go together? If the barrel does not provide the length needed to achieve the proper velocity, will the bullet still stabilise?

If you are on the edge of instability, then yes, velocity can help stabilize the bullet. [more rpm] MV x 720/twist rate= RPM.

If I run the 77gr MK through a 16" barrel with a 1-8 twist, at 2550fps. I get a Sg number of 1.638 [good]

If I run the same bullet through the same twist with a 20" barrel at 2700fps. I get a Sg number of 1.670 [still good]

Not much stability difference between the two barrel lengths in this case.

Where you can see RPM,s at work is in the case of the 53gr V-Max. It is ragged edge of stability in a 1-14 twist, but run it in a -250 or Swift over 3700fps in -14 twist and you can stabilize them.

Back