Getting Groundhogs out of their holes

JG Joe

I found a fresh groundhog hole and I could actually stick my ear down by the hole and I could hear him squeaking. I waited for him to come out for about 30 minutes, while set up at 75 yards away. When he didnt' come out, I sprinkled sunflower seeds around the hole, thinking that the smell might attract him. He didn't come out. What can i do to get him come out? This was at about 5pm.

I have a sure fire (pun intended) method but it's too dangerous to post here. It works especially well on HOT days and involves 5 gallons of gasoline and a garden hose.

Stay away from the hole. Baiting him isn't to likely to work. Best thing to do (in my opinion)is to pick out a comfortable place of concealment and wait him out. Because you have been poking around his hole, he will probably be pretty high strung for a while. Try setting up during the last couple of hours of daylight. This seems to work for me.

JG Joe;

Jack Russell Terriers and Patterdale Terriers work great for flushing groundhogs from their holes. I use mine on coons with good success and know of many people that do use the terriers for that kind of work. Lurchers are often used in conjunction with these and other small terriers to catch and kill the hogs when they bolt from the hole. Actually there are many great terrier men from your own home state. The late Ken Chambers of Lexington owned many exelant Jack Russells including “Widermere Solo” whom was the 1994 stud dog of the year. Ken also had 4 or 5 other Jacks that were “Medallion Dogs.” That is the highest rating for a hunting dog in the JRTCA. For more information on these dogs a quick search on the net will give you all the info you need.

Good hunting.

Q-Wagoner

Q-Wagoner?
Would that be Quinton Wagner from Nebraska? coyote caller extrordinaire. Springbok and Jackal slayer of great repute?

mbogo

Well I am Quinton from NE and have shot a coyote or two and been to Africa but I don't know about the extraordinar of great repute part though. Who might you be?

Q-Wagoner

:eek: well, well, well. Look what turns up at the Predator Masters Forum. I am just another admirer that is simply not worthy of your coyote calling genius. genius I say? nay. God-like status has to be a better comparison. Shot any pups yet? I have been walking my arse off on the scab ground looking for dens but still no luck. that first one will have hell to pay I tell you. Figured it out yet? Oh, how did that USO thing turn out anyway?

Well Mbogo, if you know about my USO offer, you are one of a few. You are not from Africa; pups are a long ways off over there. You have showered me with praise and given me a God-like status so you have "definitely" not hunted with me. I give up. WHO ARE YOU!!!!

Q-Wagoner

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif "Going on a safari? How can you shoot such beautiful animals?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif "It's easy, you just don't lead them as much." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
What's up buddy. You figured it out. HOw is life? Long time no chat. I figured that quote would bring back a few memories. Like, "HOly Sh~t!, am I going to have to sit next to this PETA freak for the next 14 hours!" I gotta give you a ring sometime to catch up. I think I might have a squirrel shoot in Montana lined up. Interested?

Mbogo
A.K.A. Steve

Back