Night hunting in Colorado with NV or Thermal

Dead Down Wind

Anybody doing it on Private Property?

I am looking at the D740 4X 3gen dedicated scope, a torch Pro IR illuminator and a Flir PS32 for Thermal.

Currently (Winter) i use a Laser Genetics ND3X40SZ and a hand held Green XLR250 Kill light on private property which has worked OK in the past as long as the coyotes are looking into the light to see the eyes. I don't want to have too shine a light anymore so i am going thermal and NV. (I think some have become light shy?)

I do know that public property is a NO NO during Big game season and you need a permit from the DOW officer in your area along with a letter from the US Forest Service after Big Game season is over.

So with that in mind and before i make $BIG$ investment for playing at night i am wondering about results if you have any you would like to share?

Distance you can actually identify a yote yardage wise etc.....

Thanks!

Kevin

you will with practice spot coyote out to and beyond 300 with the ps32 and not alert them and even farther in cold weather I want to spend some time with Tony Tebbe in the winter with mine, I have a D760 6x and have spotted coyotes out to 500 when the radient heat off the ground would not let me spot them with the FLIR. I think you will have a perfect set up to coyotes out to 400 yards, in 90* temps I spot hogs out to 500 with my ps32 and can spot a cow at 1000
when the temps drop the ps32 will shine farther than any light
Practice with it on the local dogs and get a feel for it, as well as the D740, with the pro IR your set that will be the next scope I buy from Vic

keep us posted

IZ,

I am looking forward to using my new set up!!

What rifle are you using? I am going to dedicate my Bushmaster ar15 varminter special for night hunting.

Less recoil, semi auto and it will reach out and touch something!

Thanks for the advise and i will defiantely let you know how i do!

Thanks again and Happy Hunting:)

Kevin

Here in Florida, with the PS-32, as Impactzone mentioned with temps in the 90's I see 'yotes out to 300 yards, hogs to 500 yards, cows even further.

Once things cool down those distances increase considerably. They have NO IDEA you are there, there is zero intrusion if you are up wind of them, you can take your time and hang until the shot presents itself as long as you are not in their cone of smell.

Like he mentioned, practice with it and get used to IDing various animals at various distances so that when you are actually out hunting you will intuitively know what is going on, it takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it is a total game changer.

Thanks SKYPUP!

I am looking forward to using it as soon as the weather turns:-( which won't be for a few more months and when it does?

Look out!!

Yotes are going DOWN!

Back