Must be my day/week/month with landowners.....

d2admin

Administrator
Seems like every call I make to get on yet another new ranch to shoot varmints has
turned into a big "yes you are more than welcome" lately. Couple of weeks ago it
was for a totally new valley only a couple hours away, and I not only got a signed
permit good for a year, but the rancher also gave me the use of a nearly new 5th
wheel already set up to stay in when up helping rid him of his diggers, badger and
especially jack rabbits. He also gave the nod on his "private" herd of Pronghorn
as well if I can draw a tag. Looking good so far... I also have made the calls and
been able to add a bunch more small ranches up in the valley where I held Digger
Wars One last year. Not a single turn-down (they had all heard how great my
group was). Hey, its looking like I can't do anything wrong. Then it happened.....
I did my bimonthly check in with the owner of the biggest "host ranch" that we
camp on during the shoot. The rancher, who has become kind of a friend, started
off the call with "Larry, I don't know how to tell you this"..... Yep, he sold the
ranch! But all was not lost, as he had already got the new owners permission for
us to shoot it again this year. Whew! Even so, I kind of chewed him out for not
letting me know sooner. Licking his wounds, he offered a new name in what he
said was an even better area to try calling "as a back up". Well, long story short,
I really hit it off with this new rancher, who told me he only lets one group shoot
his ranch every year and he asked the bunch from CA who had shot it the last few
years to not came back again (they shot up some center pivots last year and didn't
tell him). Well, after over an hour on the phone getting to know each other, I was
given exclusive use of his entire ranch this year. Says he is already over-ran with
diggers, and since he doesn't poison them, could really use our help. At just
about 200,000 acres of squirrels (that's over 300 square miles), he really does need
help (mine and that of all my Digger Wars guests as well I'd say). So, DW2 has
now been changed, with 7 of the 10 days dedicated to this new ranch alone.
Ought to be a heck of a time with several barrels shot-out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now if only that wholesaler can get me the case (or 2) of 17HMR I'll be needing.....

dw21.jpg

This is the kind of thing that happens when you treat the land your hunting on just as you would your own. Total respect!

Good Going Ladobe! The purchase of a few lotto tickets might be in order!!

Larry, when is it? Sounds like something Mike and I might want to come too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Although the LDDR&VS are just my idea of the way to run a fun shoot for friends (and I am sure I make my share of errors - but I'm getting better), I do strive very hard to make sure that sportsman, and varmint hunters in particular, are represented in a very possitive manner to these landowners. We take as many legal varmints as we or our ammo supplies will allow, and leave nothing but footprints and few crop eaters to mark that we were even there. It seems to be working, as the ranchers in "my valley's" I think honestly look forward to the good we do for them and their community during Digger Wars. Its a win win situation for everyone.

Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yeah, all you Salty City Slickers (and about 300 others as well) "voluntered" to come to DW2 after last years shoot went so well and had an article written up on it. That's partially why I had to make it an invitational shoot - that and the legal issues I am up against as its host. So sorry guys, but its all full up for DW2.

There will be lots of pictures at least to share after. My new digital can do nearly 2000, and I'll take the SLR along as well. I will also ask for copies of all pictures taken by my guests - they are in a leather bound album from DW1 and there is plenty of room for more. Might even put them all on a CD or two for Internet use. Well, back to the reloading bench. Only 9,999 more to get loaded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, if being on the "waiting list" for over a year doesn't get you in, what does? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry,
Sounds like you got a gold mine going down there!

I could get you a case of 17 hummer ammo, but I don't think you don't want to pay what their asking... :rolleyes:

I would have tried to make it down to DW1 if I would have gotten the chance. (That's the irritating thing about work!)

I have been burning the midnight oil these days. I can't wait to retire. It could be sooner than I had planned. We will have to see.

One of these days, we will get out and have some fun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had some stringing going on with the 17. Heres 5 shots at 100 yards...

target%202.jpg

I bedded the front lug area, and about 3/4" of the back of the barrel. Its floating real nice now.

Took your advice and put a Leupold Varix-2 4x12 AO on the Ruger.

17%20hmr.jpg

I have to work for a while tomorrow, but I'm trying to get away for a few hours to see how she shoots now....

I will snap a few pictures.

Right back at ya, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif -Mike

Well, I took her out. It wasn't a pretty sight though. Think I got it figured out. You can see the results in the firearms section under bedding.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif -Mike

Back