pants inside or outside the boots?

the impactzone

I asked Tony this question while on our hunt, then a butterfly flew by or a coyote track or scat appeared in the road and I don’t’ remember hearing his thoughts on it or even contemplating it any longer. And seeing that I’m rained in for the next few days I thought I ask the forum. Pants inside the boots or out?

Several of the trappers I knew always wore pants in the boots to cut down on the dander & scent some would even go as far as cuffs on sleeves or most gloves to the shoulder and hip boots while setting traps, this was in Alaska and they target wolf and wolverine and they had to get them in the trap, not just within rifle range.

Now lots of us in snake country put up with the PITA of snake boots but many of us prefer to wear reg boots or even tactical tennis shoes with pants outside. And every stand does not allow us to approach from one direction of downwind and we may have to cross a pasture or a coyotes approach at some point getting to our stand location.

So what are the thoughts on this, is it worth it? I don’t’ see where it will hurt other than the PITA on a hot day, and it will cut down on ticks & chiggers I guess

If your from west coast left one in right one out. If your on the east coast right one in left one out. It's a no brainer. Lol if its muddy or dew or tick season I tuck them in.

so what wouldn't be serious about it? beside it's raining like he11 outside and I'm goint to have to tuck my pants in to step off the porch much less hunt coyotes

Always tucked in. Ticks, chiggers, spiders, ants, mosquitos, and snakes all like it when you leave the tunnel open to the playground, and you guys have other small stuff we don't
scared.gif

I'm in BFE South Dakota,
some rattlers, nothin like Texas, I always wear the tactical boot, kind of a cross trainer on roids... lace the pi$$ outta em, and pull my pant legs over the top.

If you live in an area with alot of ground nesting hornets, AKA yellow jackets I would suggest you tuck them in. If they fly up your pants leg you will regret it. Trust me I know. I only got it on the inside of my thigh but that hurt bad enough to make me a tucker from then on. I have talked with other tuckers and they were not so lucky as I. They are die in the wool tuckers now.

Ahhhh. I usually have mine above my boots, espically when it's wet. My briar pants won't go over my snake boots. I always wear snake boots unless it's cold enough to warrant more.

I grew up wearing cowboy boots, being around horses & cattle.
Back then, no matter what I was doing, I wore them on the outside of the boots.
Unless it was muddy. Then, I'd wear them on the outside of the boots, but inside of the 5-buckle rubber "over-boots".

Fast-forward past the cowboy boot stage...And I started wearing "hiking" boots when hunting.
Wore oil-resistant steel-toe Wolverine or Red Wing lace-up work boots when not hunting.
Either way, always on the outside.
Unless, again, I was wearing rubber "over-boots" in the mud.

i tuck mine in. seems to help with ticks and chiggers. i also try to keep my shirt tucked in for the same reasons.

Outside for me. I don't have creepy things crawling around here besides some of the locals, but if I lived in a place that did, it would be knee high boots and inside like Tebbe wears his.

Hmm... I suppose I do both?

In cold weather, I wear sweat pants under bibs for comfort and warmth. My boots are tall rubber boots, I wear the same boots no matter what I'm hunting in (2 pairs, one that fits my feet over a normal sock, one that fits over a couple pairs of thicker socks.

So I wear my sweat pants inside my boots, and my bibs outside my stoves. I tie a bit of paracord around the ankles of my bibs to keep them tight around my boot stoves. I "scotch-guard" my bibs to help prevent them from soaking up dew, and if I keep walking at a good clip, I can even cross creeks about knee deep for a few good steps (taller than my mud boots) without getting water in my boots.

Back