SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA HUNTING

MOOSE

ANYONE DOING ANY HUNTING IN SOUTHERN CAL? i'm here in san diego but hunting is slim.

I just bought a new Ruger M77 MARKII VT in .223 and a Simmons 3.8x12x44 AETEC scope. I'm going to use it mostly for Yotes.

Does that sound about right?

Moose

I used to live in N. San Diego County. Went coyote hunting twice with a friend; heard lots but never saw anything (I think I am too noisy and move too much).

I recommend putting in for the deer hunt at Camp Pendleton. It's a draw with 1:7 odds, but I got lucky the first year and got a nice black-tailed buck.

Excellent ground squirrel hunting on the Cajon Ranch, but I think it's invitation only (I've never hunted there). I heard there were coyotes & ground squirrels N.E. of the Dead Sea, but I never checked it out thoroughly.

Moose as far as I know if there are any good spots down your way they a far and few between.

If NASA sees this post he might know of some spots down that way, he lives in Riverside County.

Otherwise, Imperial County might be the place for you to go lookin around, otherwise plan on doing some driving up to the low or high desert areas.

Thanks guys,

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and if I come across anything I'll let ya know.

I may try some Campo area hunting.

Moose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Moose, I just noticed this post. You're in a great area for coyote. But it's a lousy area for hunting them. Everything is posted, fenced, or patroled. There are a few areas (get a topo) around Poway (E side), Cuyamaca, anywhere outside Anza-Borrego, and Ocatillo Wells on South. As more and more of this area gets developed, the hunting opportunities diminish. Down along the border, like you've thought of, can be productive. And hairy, too. Some of the coyotes you'll run into are two-legged and packin' heat also. Clock your sixes!!

Thanks NASA,

I'll check em out. The two legged Coyotes should beware, I have the Ruger VT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
You ever do any hunting down here? I hear there are alot of Fox and bobcat too.

Thanks again

Moose

You bet. More so in the past, though. There are tons of bobcat down there. But again, without permission to trespass you're out of luck. Most of the landowners seem to be bunnyhuggers and won't even discuss killing ANY animal on their property. Gunshots almost always generate a 911 call. There's always the river. From Winterhaven North to the I10 you can always find a few coyotes. They love those melon patches.

Well,you know what they say.Everything is a compromise.You got the beaches and the babes,we have open land and critters.But life goes on.
I live here in the Imperial Valley and there's another board member that used to.I have hunted a lot of it but there is a lot I haven't even tried.
Stay on the deserts edge west of El Centro,Brawley and Westmoreland and you will have your work cut out for you.Same with Holtville,Calipatria and Niland on the east side.Be careful for people living in mobilehomes in out of the way places around the Hi-line and Coachella canals.
A Border Patrolman told me they have a problem with feral dogs attacking people around MT.Signal.
The pups will be out soon and the weather will be in the 100s in a month.Hotter and humid in Aug.
We have coons and b-cats with rumors of mt.lions in the riverbottoms.We have rattlesnakes and they don't always rattle.
BTW,I go to S.D.County for foxes every yr.when season opens in Nov.Lot of b-cat up there.

Remshot,

I could be getting a job transfer down there within the next year. I work for the Border Patrol. (mechanic)

I may check that out. Thanks for the info. keep me updated. I was down there last dove and pheasant season. I had a blast.

Moose

BMG, what part of Idaho do you live? I was born and raised in Idaho. Jerome area.

I did a lot of hunting and fishing there. You are in paradise!!!!!!!

Have ya done any hunting there?

Moose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Moose,if a guy doesn't mess with the farmers and their equipment and isn't an idiot you can do just about anything you want down here.The Sherriffs and Border Patrol are cool with very few exceptions.Game wardens are o.k. too.Night hunting is legal and the mosquito come with no extra charge.

stonehammer Dont give up, the simple fact you probably did not see any coyotes is they were not in your area at that time. You cant call what is not there. I do coyote controll on a cattle ranch i shoot around 200 coyotes ayear. Try hand calls, i have found that setting up a electric call exposes you to the dogs in your area. Try to get into your stan as quitley as posable. Try to call at diffrent times you will get them. Dont miss, a called in dog that is missed will never fall for the same trick twice, and that is a coyote that will giv you problems for years to come. About calling coyotes with hand call, just try and sound like your tapes.

Back