anybody Jump on the 6 X 68 upper yet.

Originally Posted By: BurkyJust wondering if anybody has tryed a 6x68 ora dtec 6DTI upper

I have been shooting the 6X68 from Black Hole Weaponry since early April. The reamer was not quite right and was not as user friendly as desired and it was returned. The new reamer allows me to use off the shelf dies without fire forming, shoulder movement or shoulder angle changes.

I received a new barrel about about a month ago. Since then I have fired in excess of 400 rounds through mine with an emphasis on the 87 grain Hornady bullets. I have fired the original cases, Silver State brass, six times now. They are looking good with very tight primer pockets and what appears god case life with minimal growth. I have held my velocities to 3200 or less though I can go faster in the future.

I will post some pictures of the build and representative groups later. The groups have run under 0.6 MOA 75% of the time with the occasional screamer. This was during load development. I have gone back and verified the consistency on most of the loads. One thing that has come to passis factory loaded ammuntion is available for the cartidge.

Here is a link to the AR15ARMORY.com thread I have in place at this time:

6X68

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurkyThat sounds good, what die's would U need for reloading

Redding 6.8 TYPE S F/L die. Use a 287 and 265 or 266 bushing.

Greg

I have worked up loads for 3 6mmDTi's and nary a hiccup. You just run the brass thru your 6mmDti die and load'em and go hunting. My current load is the 70gr Nosler BT at 3350fps. I hunted predators last year with 55gr Nosler using a fireform load of AA2015 that was pushing them 3550-3600fps.

Here are a few critters that I and friends shot with mine.
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Shoots OK too.
IMG_1406.jpg

I guess I am just going to have to jump on this band waggon and find a upper. thanks guys, is there any other companys working other than blackhole, and dtech.

Black Hole is the only easily available 6X68. As to the DTI I think Mike M. had the proprietary stuff on that.

I could be wrong on Mikes but I am certain on the 6X68.

Greg

Greg, a couple of questions.

1. How does this stack up to a .243 LBC?

2. I saw a group buy mentioned. How does one get in on that?

Thanks

Jim

Originally Posted By: GLShooterBlack Hole is the only easily available 6X68. As to the DTI I think Mike M. had the proprietary stuff on that.

I could be wrong on Mikes but I am certain on the 6X68.

Greg

I am pretty sure Mike (DTech) can also make the 6mm/6.8spc or 6X68 because the first few prototypes he made were just the 6.8spc necked down with no other changes so he has the reamer but I would just assume that the reason most order the 6mmDTi is for the improved shoulder and small performance advantage. So chose your poison both are nice rounds.

Case volume on the two is very close. The LBC can be run with longer bullets thanks to the shorter case. It also can take a tad higher pressure.

The 6X68 as BHW is making was thought of a as a varmint/light big game round that would be a step up from the 6X45. The throat is short on this reamer and with the right magazines you can reach the lands without any problem.

The 243 LBC was also a varmint round but was recognized quickly as one that would make an excellent deer/hog cartridge and longer range platform. Velocities, I believe can be a bit higher with the LBC thanks to more eefciet case design. Short, fat is wher its at.

I now own, or will after next week, a 24" BHW upper in 6X45, 6X68 and 243 LBC. Needless to say there will be another OK Coral in Arizona when I'm done. I'll use the same bullets, 58 VMAX, 70 Speer TNT and the 87 VMAX and the 85 Game King. I want to see what top end velocities and pressures will be and how the accuracy hangs together. All three are 1:9 so that will be as straight across as I can get.

Group Buy is really a Group Special. Merely go over to the BHW Forum and all the info is there.

The site shows only a 20" satin but they have opened it up to 18", 20" and 24". Threaded or not. Black, satin or machine finish. (No bull barrels)

They are selling the uppers with 100 rounds of factory ammunition with a 150 round option that is cheaper than the componets to load it with.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrLooking forward to the shoot off. So many choices, so little money.

I am looking forward to it. The chance of having three chamberings in virtually identical barrels from the same company is not real common.

I think I will see a stair step pattern in performance with the groups hovering about the same with only velocity being the big one.

Greg

Last edited:
I have talked to Mike before about the 6DTI and it is impressive but my problem with it is the barrel length required for it to perform at its best. He told me the ideal barrel length is 22". That is too long for me around here. I am shooting a 6.8spc right now with an 18" barrel and that is as long as I want to go. I have talked about it before here but where I hunt here in NM most shots are under 250-300 yards and really 90% are under 100 so there is really no need to have a long gun. So my question here is about the barrel length required for the 243lbc and the 6x68 to work best. I am pushing 90gr TNT to almost 3000fps right now with my 6.8. Is there any advantage with these other rounds over what I have now? I would prefer to shoot something much lighter. I used to shoot 55gr ballistic tips with my 243 over 4000fps. Can you approach that with any of these wildcats? I need a good balance of barrel length, velocity, and bullet weight.

Originally Posted By: bushyi would love to see this data.

Once I get it done I'll do up a nice report. Of course since all three are basic wildcats It will have to be with the understanding of My Guns, My Data, My Butt!!

Greg

Originally Posted By: newmexicokidI have talked to Mike before about the 6DTI and it is impressive but my problem with it is the barrel length required for it to perform at its best. He told me the ideal barrel length is 22". That is too long for me around here. I am shooting a 6.8spc right now with an 18" barrel and that is as long as I want to go. I have talked about it before here but where I hunt here in NM most shots are under 250-300 yards and really 90% are under 100 so there is really no need to have a long gun. So my question here is about the barrel length required for the 243lbc and the 6x68 to work best. I am pushing 90gr TNT to almost 3000fps right now with my 6.8. Is there any advantage with these other rounds over what I have now? I would prefer to shoot something much lighter. I used to shoot 55gr ballistic tips with my 243 over 4000fps. Can you approach that with any of these wildcats? I need a good balance of barrel length, velocity, and bullet weight.

Mike is right on with his 22" statement. The entire clan of 6.8 wildcat 6 MM's lives above 20". It doesn't matter if it is a 6 DTI, 6 WOA or 6X68 the case capacities are so close and the pressures are so close that they won't differ in down range performance enough to tell. The 6X68 has been shot at 20" quite a bit and some at 18" While it is a good round when you go to the 22" and above level it really excels. I truly believe you can get 2850-2900 out of an 18" 6X68. I'll be getting a 20" in the future and will wring it out for top end speeds and groups.

The biggest advantage to the 6X68 is the use of standard dies that are available off the shelf, commercial ammunition will be available and that the reamer design is open source and non-proprietary. If you want a barrel then you can get one and have it built how you want and by who you want.

The 243 LBC is a step up in velocities as the case design is a bit more efficient even though the case capacity is virtually identical to the 6X68 and you can use a bit larger bullets due to the shorter case length. The 6X68 is doing 58 VMAX at 3750 out of a 24" without any problems and 3350 out of an 18". The 243 LBC can do the same and a bit more.

Greg

Last edited:
If looking at an 18 Inch barrel then your standard 6.8 SPC you already have would be hard to beat. The 6X45mm works pretty well also with that barrel length.... I get 3000+ fps with 65gr and 3150fps with 55gr.
Now the 25DTi really shines with a 18 inch barrel getting 90gr bullets to 3000fps as well if you happen to like 25cal's.

I have a grendel but not a 6.8, and looking for the long distance hunting gun. 6.8 offers more, but are looking at 6dti or 6x68.

Back