DPMS- Oracle vs. Sportical

Yes the oracle has a beefier receiver. I have some 'nicer' ARs but our oracle has become my go to calling rifle. It is handier, lighter, more accurate than me in field situations, and costs much less. What's not to like? Here is pic of male I killed a couple months ago at 166 yards using 55g TNT over xterminator. I added a Levang linear compensator to help with blast noise in hunting situations as perceived by the shooter. IMO it works. The fa is a solution that makes the problem worse in my hands. It is not needed on a hunting rifle for hunting scenarios IMO.

IMG_5846.jpg

TnTnTn,

I think you meant to be saying Sportical when you were writing Oracle.. I hope you were anyway. Cuz that's what's laying on the dead coyote.
tongue_smilie.gif

Lol-right you are. Too many miles on the old neurons I reckon. Anyway the 'Sportical' is a dandy rifle for beginner or old hand. Ttt

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms223sporticalbarrelassembly.aspx

For $373/shipped, I think the sportical is going to be my next purchase. I'm going to combine it with a New Frontier Armory polymer lower and 6pos adjustable butt stock. Probably just slap some iron sites on it, maybe a red dot at some point, and use it as a cheap plinking gun/range fun gun/close range coyote gun. For the price I don't think you can beat it.

I have a sportical upper on my LR .260 and I hated it at first. I'll explain. It's a good upper but I wish it forward assist because I use it on my other AR's but more importantly, no brass deflector. I'm a lefty and without the brass deflector I was constantly getting major brass burns on my neck while at the range. I remedied the problem with some good ol' fashioned ingenuity.

470196_371555159554995_65118935_o.jpg

Now it throws the brass out at the 2 O'Clock position instead of my collar.

I got all jazzed on the simplicity of the the Sporticle and found one in the classifieds....Being Left handed...didn't even think about the lack of brass deflector. Might have to mod. a wedge of some nature! Nice work!

My youngest son is right handed but left eye dominant so he shoots left handed. Actually 'our' sportical is his and he has killed several deer with it. Ours has not been any problem with ejected brass causing issues with him. Probably each rifle will vary somewhat in ejection characteristics. The face of the ejector can be contoured to affect ejection path also. TTT

I'm willing to bet that the amount of gas pressure for each different load affects ejection along with the bolt carrier weight for different BCG manufacturers as well as buffer and spring tension. All of these more than likely have some affect on how the spent casing reacts.

I have had several AR's for hunting coyotes. But then I wised up and purchased a Rock River Arms coyote carbine...lightweight, very accurate and a joy to carry as a walking/calling rifle. I would highly suggest, if you are considering an AR, checking one out. I have a 3x9 Leupold on mine and its perfect.

A hint for those that want the slick side, but don't want to give up the FA. A trick I was taught very early in my military career, was to simply reach up with your middle finger (left hand if your are right handed shooter) find the indention in the bolt carrier, and simply push it forward with your finger to ensure the bolt is seated. It's almost as if the bolt was designed with that indention for this very action. You can do this without ever losing your sight picture and muscle memory with your rifle will tell you if the bolt is closed. Easy as pie. Just .02

Chris

Back