Which rimfire, 22 WMR or 17 HMR for coyote?

travjc

Here's the deal, In SD I can use a light at night but must use either a Rimfire or Shotgun. Which of the two (22 WMR, 17HMR) would be the better choice. I think the 22 will be better at 100+ but tell me if I'm right or wrong.

22 WMR of those two. Or, find a Rem m591 or 592 in 5mm rem.

9778d151.jpg

9d972b9e.jpg

3 at 100

c59a8976.jpg

5 at 50

22 Mag. No question. You can't shoot a 50gr pill from a 17 HMR. Although plenty of elk and black bear have been cleanly taken with the HMR, I would hold true to the Win. Mag.

Slip a 17 or 20 grain .17 caliber slug between a coyote's ribs and he's done for. But same can be said for any .22 Mag hit too.

As much as I enjoy my .17 HMR, the .22 Mag would be a better choice for dog size animals. This does not mean that the .22 Magnum is the perfect coyote round because it is not. But you have a better chance on anchoring a yote with one of those than you do the tiny .17 HMR bullet.

I realize that the 22 mag won't trump my 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, or 25-06, but the state says it has to be rimfire so..... trying to figure out how to use a 22 rim as a primer in the swift....LOL!

I would like to hear a little more about the 5mm in experience. I just haven't been convinced it's that much better yet.

Originally Posted By: travjcI realize that the 22 mag won't trump my 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, or 25-06, but the state says it has to be rimfire so..... trying to figure out how to use a 22 rim as a primer in the swift....LOL!

I would like to hear a little more about the 5mm in experience. I just haven't been convinced it's that much better yet.

The 5mm is not. Although I would like to have one, but that is just because I have the sickness. Ammo is limited to one supplier.

22 Mag is good dog medicine with the right bullet. Shots must be close, but it does kill better than it should. The HMR kills as well, but not as well and has more wind drift.

I have three 22 mags and am a sucker for one more. I also have the HMR, but my boys shoot it most. [At Zombies]

The 5mm is on the to do list, but purely as a want to. It has a cool factor, but it won't kill better than the MAG. When comparing ammo, there is no comparison.

So, I guess to keep the state happy, I'll just stick with my $100 marlin bolt gun at night. And buy another few boxes of 40gr jhp super-x stuff.

That has not been my experience. But then again the HMR is the stuff legends are made of.

Ha ha.

I'll take my heavy 50gr jacketed hollow point Federal Game Shok's in Win Mag and stack fur while you figure out the rest.

Don't that HMR just look good on paper though.

I haven't been here in a long time, I still say neither unless your close enough to swing a barrel. JMHO!!!

22 mag trumps the hmr in terms of DRT performance on the larger critters. Like it or not. I've used both for squirrels, opossum and a few fox.

Idk much about the 5mm but I'll take the heavier pill any day over the 5mm.

Speed, fpe, and ballistics don't impress me much inside of normal rimfire ranges.

I'll take real world performance over paper.

22 Magnum and the CCI 40gr. Game points it was made for coyotes. The Game Point is by far the best penetrating bullet for rimfires! Ive killed four coyotes with the Game points and they work great so far.

Although a rimfire would not be My first choice, Id have to go with the 22Mag for the heavier bullets. I dont call with a rimfire, so ymmv. Good luck.

Here's a little info based on two pretty common factory rounds for both.

22WMRvs17HMR.jpg

Personally, I'd rather have the .22WMR. Out to 150yrds, the trajectory difference is moot, and the .22WMR is going to anchor dogs a lot faster.

Look into the Hornady Critical Defense rounds for the 22 mag. 45 gr and designed to penetrate. I've only had the chance to shoot one fox with it, and it was a running shot without a good hit but it did bring it down. It's fairly accurate in my gun. I have a feeling this round is going to be decent on coyotes for a rimfire, just need to get some rounds on coyotes to verify.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2209716

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marco22 Magnum and the CCI 40gr. Game points it was made for coyotes. The Game Point is by far the best penetrating bullet for rimfires! Ive killed four coyotes with the Game points and they work great so far.

I like these.

And LOL at the Taylor KO Factor graph.

I used to go round and round on this subject till I was blue in the face and pulling my hair out, until one day I realized that I as a "nay sayer" and those that were "yay Sayers" were actually saying the same thing. I was just too blind or stubborn to see it. The truth is this. Mishit a coyote with a .30-06 and it will run before it expires, mishit a coyote with an HMR or WMR and it will run a little further before it expires. Put any of the three projectiles in boiler and they fold up like a lawn chair.

I say use what you got and be conscious of the chamberings limitations and stack up the fur. You can kill'em with a .22LR, but it's tough to get them that close and to sit still long enough to scramble their coconut.

Chupa

CCI shows the Game Point at 1,875fps having 170ft.lbs. at 1ooyds. The last time I chronoed the Game
points from a 20" barrel Ruger I got 1,940fps taken at 10ft. So true muzzle velocity is pushing 2,000. At 100yds. its got to be around 180ft.lbs. Some shooter are getting over 2,000fps. from the Game Points. I like it because its not to ruff on small game and works very good on fox,bobcat,coyotes and hogs!

Back