Illuminated Scope Suggestions for NIght Hunting

d2admin

Administrator
Been using a German recticle illuminated VXIII 1.5-4x quite successfully for fox hunting for a few years. I am now hunting areas that have coyotes and shots could be longer. Looking to move to a higher top end magnification in an illuminated variable scope. Suggestions please?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 17 Fireball is my favorite chuck gun hands down!!

Oh okay, Illuminated reticles,I have a foundness for Nikons,but for low light I like 2.5 to 10 variable,I also like a reticle that I can turn down real low,it makes a big difference to me.

I'm thinking about the Leupold VX-6 in 2x12 illuminated with the german or long range rectile. Have to sell about three of my current Leupold scopes to raise the money.

I paid about $300.00 for my Nikon 2.5 to 10. I love Leupolds also but for a callin gun scope,I dont think you need to drop a bunch of coin on expensive glass to get something that will work great in low or night time light.

Last edited:
No I have a small cross hair at the center of the main cross hairs,its nice,the mildots would be way to much,if your shooting far enough to need mil dots you should be using night vision.I would not pull the trigger on a dog a distance unless I have snow and moon with a conventional scope.Alos all of that light from the mil dot reticle will tire your eye fast..

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE Okay, Illuminated reticles,I have a foundness for Nikons,but for low light I like 2.5 to 10 variable,I also like a reticle that I can turn down real low,it makes a big difference to me.

Baystate, based on the above quote I thought you had a Nikon with an illuminated reticle and I too believe the reticle I posted is way to much for night huting.

Does Nikon have another illuminated reticle? I couldn't find one on the website.

Yes,infact I have two,the 2.5 to 10 and a 6.5 to 20 that have the same small cross hairs in the center that will iluminate.
However these scopes are four years old so maybe that could be and issue.....

I have 2 Prostaffs, actually 4 if you count my kids guns that I'm happy with. If Nikon had a illuminated reticle similiar to the VXR, Vortex Crossfire or the Weaver I'd be all over it.

I really like the basic reticle with the illuminated dot in the center. BDC, Milldots or whatever only complicate things for me.

VX-R's don't have a good field of view from what I read. I may look into the Burris scopes but I to found the Nikon's only have the one recticle. I want a German 4 with illumination capability. I have a VX III in 1.5-5x that I love but am selling in the classifieds because I want higher power to double as a identifier as there are dogs where I hunt and I need to make 100% certain it is a coyote at night.

I have 2 burris's LRS scopes that i like.. they only have a small dot that illuminates in the center of the croshair. They also have different intensity levels. i use both of mine just barely illuminated and the work great for me.

I also like my Burris LRS Digital Electro-Dot (200156). With 10 settings, the lowest one is finally dim enough (most lighted reticle scopes are lit too brightly). I'll be using it tonight on my 450 Marlin hunting hogs coming to the feeder.

Back