Skinning knife, what make and style you use?

+++Havalon use the Piranta for field dressing and capeing and like the Baracuta for boning just ordered some more blades 100 60xt and a 5 pack of each 127xt and the 115xt thinking about getting one one the Mora Sweden knives.
also have a outdoor edge swing blaze kit that the wife got me love the gut blade but not the saw wish i could find a gerber swich saw i had one back in 2002 but get got lost on an elk hunt that bone saw would cut fast and clean
thats my 2 cents hope it helps

Bryan

Last edited:
Schrade Sharpfinger

thumbup1.gif

So with a Havalon, using one blade per dog, you have $70 for the first hundred dogs and $35-40 for each hundred after that. With Mora, cost is $12-17 and probably will last till you lose it. If you don't like sharpening, Havalon is probably worth it. I find it relaxing in the evening to touch a blade up once every week or two...same with reloading. I'm seriously considering Mora. My folding Browning birthday gift isn't very slip proof when wet or greasy. With the regular blade and blunt gut blade, it's OK for field dressing deer, but that's about all.

I have a "bird and trout" knife by A.G. Russel. Light and holds a great edge. It will lock into it's sheath and is very easy to draw. I've field dressed and skinned many deer with it too.

So far I've been using the small disposable personna scalpels and my Buck 102 fixed blade. The scalpel is nice for getting the eyelids, ears, lips, and nose off the small foxes. Only drawback is they are very sharp and will go through fast. Got a case for free from a buddy.

I use the paranta pro Z , replaceable blades and always sharp . blades are cheap and when your on the run gunning its always nice to have a sharp knife

I personally prefer a clip shaped blade for skinning, as opposed to the usual round tip skinning knives. I love a good old buck 110, its a hefty size, has nice really hard steel, and has a hollow grind. This makes for a super (scalpel-like) sharp blade, scary sharp, and it holds and edge very well, the only time it really dulls is if you take it to something hard like bone, then the edge will tend to chip on a microscopic level. However, when i use my 110, a always keep a secondary cheaper knife or a multi-tool(even better because mine has a saw) that i use when i come close to touching bone.

One that I like is the A.G.Russel Woodswalker.
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-woodswalker-in-leather-hip-pocket-sheath/p/AGPRS/
After watching a pretty good skinner I know use one I bought a couple of em along with one of the silly leather sheaths back when they only cost eight bucks apiece.
The sheath was totally useless and set around collecting dust for several years untill I got the bright Idea to cut it down to size.
003-9.jpg

Now it fits perfectly in the tool pocket on a pair of Carhardts, and I take one with me nearly everytime I'm in the woods. Not sure why though, since I seldom skin anything in the field any more.
My old Carbon Steel (US made) Schrade Improved Muskrat is pretty hard to beat for small game in the field too.

Most of the Jap and Eurupean knives are still pretty good IMO, but I wouldn't give two cents for any of the ChinaLand crap reguardless of who's name's on it.
JMO

i started using utility knifes a long time ago and i really like the new ones that have a curved handle the blade are cheap you can use both ends they store easy dispense one at a time and the newer ones open by just pushing one button.now that i am used to them i would have a hard time using a regular knife again

i think this thread has gone to apples and oranges w/ the surgical vs "regular"(if you will) knives....have to admit,them surgicals are awesome....now edge retention and blade strenght and blade shape...is very debateable and a diff. topic imo.....

For those of you who prefer the Havilon, here's something to consider. I think you can get Havilon's from 35.00 upwards of 60.00. You can get replacement blades from 6.00 to 12.00 per dozen. That works out to .50 to a buck per blade. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers- just inform. Havilon knives are made by the Havel surgical supply company. I keep an open account with them. I paid I think 4.00 for a reusable stainless scalpel handle 4 or 5 years ago. I pay 15.00 per HUNDRED for scalpel blades- .15 per blade. I skin a lot of critters over the course of the year. If you skin in any quantity, I'd either go with a sclapel, or just go back to a folding or fixed blade and stone.

Back