Fun Morning

DoubleCK

Some friends up on the Montana border sent word that they were having some Coyote problems. They felt like the fawn crop was virtually missing this year and they had concerns for their ranch mousers and little dogs as the racket was getting closer and closer to the buildings and corrals.

So Bryton, Tucker and I geared up and headed that way early this morning.

We got set-up in a good spot and started with some Vole Squeaks. After no reaction for the first five minutes we switched it up to some Young Female Howls and got an answer from what sounded like a pair just down the creek to our right. Beautiful sound ain't it! After another seven minutes of that back and forth banter we let them have a little Pup Distress. I checked my scope setting as it felt like things were going to happen quick, up close and personal. I whispered a reminder to Bryton to dial his VX-R back to three X for a wider field of view, and he did.

Tucker had been working an open hill side to our left in what I figured was plain view of the cranky pair. I paged her via her collar and she came up to us in the brush patch where we were set up. On the way in Bryton had placed the caller below our perch and off to our left about 50 yards.

Less than a minute after we adjusted our scopes for a wider field of view, Bryton whispered, "Here they come, it's a pair." Sure enough they crossed about fifty yards below us heading from our right to left toward the Pup in Distress Sound. When they got directly below us Tucker gave them a big WOOF and headed straight down at 'em. The coyotes made a hard left hand turn and headed straight up the hill to meet Tucker and of course directly toward us in our perch. They started looking big fast with their ears up and eyes very intensely focused.

That's when things begin to really get Western. I had earlier whispered to Bryton to be ready to take the leader who would end up on our left side, his side. I can't tell you if I used the pager to bring Tucker back toward us, if she turned and came back toward us on her own or just slammed on the brakes in the middle of the rush. In any case when I whispered to Bryton to "Take Him" they were just under thirty five yards, one coyote on each side of Tucker. Bryton squeezed off the timney trigger on the R-15 and the 55 grain V-MAX found the right spot. (that's 3 shots and 3 dead coyotes for that rifle, don't know why it packs 20 rounds) Things really blew up at that point. The other coyote took off with Tucker hot on his heels. I touched one off, clean miss, should have waited. I paged Tucker back and she winded Bryton's kill and went over and gave it a little romp n chomp. By then she was pretty hot and dry. She stood over the kill and we stuck for another twenty minutes or so talking back and forth with the one that got away. He just stood out in the hay field across the creek at five hundred yards giving Tucker what for. Eventually we gave it up, took some pics and headed to the truck to get some water into Tucker.

Fun Morning!
thumbup.gif

CoyoteBrytonTuckerMed.jpg

Cool deal. They've been barking and howling at my dogs a lot but haven't had any tear into them. The decoying has been really good.

Very nice job guys. Good times and good shootin Bryton. Oh and yes that is a great looking dog. She will be having some new siblings here in 2 or 3 weeks.
smile.gif
Good stuff CK

Thanks Guys!

Fred, you and I think alike. That first pic was selected due to the quality of the toothy, long tongued, brindle smile.

Here is a pic that shows the young man a bit better.

CoyoteBrytonMed.jpg

I did talk to him about getting some Cammo bands for those expensive braces. (-:

Lucky young fella, right there! Easy to see he's savoring the moment, just don't let him smile during a stand
laugh.gif
I trust there will be plenty more reasons to smile in his future...

So howz that 320/DC-40 treatin' ya?

Great story and pics buddy. Glad that at least one of you can shoot straight....lol.

Hopefully that will help out the fawn herd.

Thanks Guys!

Fun is what we are all about round here.

I really like the Garmin Collar. Don't actually fire up the receiver that often, but I do turn on the collar and strap it on just in case. Great peace of mind.

We have windrows on the ground so of course we got a shower this afternoon. Might make for a good stand in the morning.

Back