Best chuck shooting in the USA?

d2admin

Administrator
It is getting that time of year! Won't be long, and the chucks will be out in force, and some of us will be there to greet them
smile.gif

I'm curious - if you were going to take a "chuck shooting vacation", go someplace for a week for the sole purpose of shooting chucks. What state would you go to? PA, OH, ID, somewhere else? I know which one I'd be heading for (and it's due north of here!). Actually, I DO make several trips a year up there just to shoot chucks.

And how many would you expect to shoot on a good day? 50? 100? 200?

- DAA

I have a 6 month chuck shootin vacation which I start every May! I wait for the young ta be weaned so I have more targets!
They are out in limited numbers now but I'll wait. I've got access to thousands of acres of prime farmland full of chucks here in PA!!

Hey Dave,
You know where I go!
wink.gif

I have been getting a little ancy thinking about the same thing.
Been loading for the Remington 250, have about 600 rounds now. I have about 2/3 of a case of 223s for the DPMS.

No starke 80 grainers loaded for the 600-1000 yard stuff yet. I got to get some ordered from Clint.

Do you think that it will be the down range bullet for the 250?

Anyway, this should get me started....

-Mike
------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 03-06-2002).]

Swift, I`ve got 2 already this year. I shoot them as soon as I can. I farm and want them dead and have never worried about shooting all of them. I was talking to a cousin of my wife today and he said " I like getting them early, it`s like killing 6 later." Well I think your both wrong, because most of what you kill now are males and there will always anotherone come along to pickup the females he would have got to. Alittle later and you will beable to get some females and kill families with one shot. I have heard of farmers that won`t let you shoot them later in the summer if you don`t start early in the spring.

Mike, I'm afraid those 80's won't shoot at all in your rifle. They need a really fast twist to stabilize. I'm using them in an 8 twist - pictured below in a scene I'm sure you and Randy both recognize. You should go ahead and order the 80's anyway though - sounds like one of the best excuses for a new barrel I ever heard!
smile.gif

NesikaPond.jpg

- DAA

wow i didnt know there are other people that got that excited about groundhogs as much as i do! well i live in ohio and they are every where,me i shoot them whenever i see them it doesnt matter what month. i shoot a 22 250 ballistic points, it doesnt matter where you hit them they arent goin anywhere! also when those ballistic tip s hit a hard bone they are capable of cutting a hog in half. well have fun and shoot em up.

NOW THIS IS MY TYPE OF DISCUSSION'

I shoot way over a hundred woodchucks every year here in Michigan, I know loads of farmers in a 15 mile radius of home, and that is how I spend my occasional weekends off. Summers a busy time for a pipeliner. Gotta love the mid michigan farmbelt flatlands( ya yoopers don't take offense by this, none meant) I may not get many yotes here but the chucks only see me once (or twice, he he he eeh) if ever. Gotta love it. Thank you Mr Nosler.

------------------
"When you get em in the sights drop the hammer"

As you guys can see, DAA has earned his name, and then some!

Yeah Dave,
I was wondering about that.
Forget the barrel, I may have to build another Sako 250!
biggrin.gif
-Mike

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Hey Chuckduster..
Wanna take a rookie out chuck huntin? I just gotta try this. Trade ya for some Lk. St. Clair perch fishin!! Mark

DAA I say 6 months cuz I work 3 12hr shifts a week givin me 4 days a week ta shoot chucks, that's as close to a vacation as I can imagine without takin days off!!

nalley get back ta me iffin ya want ta come up some day or weekend and shoot a few chucks you'll need a PA liscense though, and don't forget an orange hat!! Let me know!

Catfish the farmers are just happy I'm gettin rid of em, they don't care when I start as long as I KILL EM!! Shot over 400 whistle pigs in the last 2 years. Besides I use April to get alittle trout fishin in.

MAN....Some of you guys are making me green with envy on the numbers of chucks you kill. I try and get out quite a bit but my area must not be real good for chucks as I have never gotten more than 10 in a year. Anybody here use a handgun on them? I think I have taken 3 with the Ruger Mark II.

chuck501.jpg

Swift,

What part of PA are ya in? I am in the middle of Pissburgh and Erie....

I seen my first chuck out the other day... Cant wait to start blasting them!!

Dave,

I mainly use handguns. I have taken them from a few feet out to 200 yards...

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member
United States of America - Love It or LEAVE IT!

Latest USMC bumper sticker "IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

[This message has been edited by mssmagnum (edited 03-08-2002).]

mssmagnum....Handguns keep it interesting don't they? My closest kill was when a hog stuck his head out of a hole that was virtually between my feet. I was just standing there when I saw his nose ease out, a few seconds later he stuck his head out and I popped him. the distance couldn't have been more than 3 feet. I still can't believe he didn't know I was there.

------------------

My Web Page

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 03-16-2002).]

Hey Swift,

I have to agree with you on "Patience is a virtue." I hunt p.d. with the same plan, it also helps when you are the only one with dibs on the property you shoot.

Just to give you a litle incentive, I'm building a gun case with your name on it.

Later SHOOTER (Z---)

Originally posted by Swift:
mssmagnum I live in Shippensburg PA. Just head south on 81. Approx 40min south of Harrisburg.[/Q]UOTE
Swift I as well like long range chuck bustin and live Hanover about 45 min. drive.Let me know if you want to hook up and do some shootin. Either up my direction or down your way, but it sounds like you have alot more goin on were your at.

Back