Who bowhunts coyotes?

-CoyoteHunter-

I was just wondering if anyone had some good stories about taking a bow predator hunting. The one time I took my bow, I called in a bobcat to 20 yds, but didn't have a license at the time of course. The only bobcat I've ever called in.

I've never tried calling them in w/ a bow in hand, but it sounds exciting. You could always have the rifle near by for back up.

I grew up spotting fox along fence rows and drainage ditches here in Iowa. We primarily used 222 for this type of hunting, but it's a personal goal to stalk a fox or coyote w/ my bow after a quiet snow.

Never targeted coyotes with a bow, but have killed several w/ my longbow while deer hunting. I rate this like I just killed a wall hanger...I think their MUCH smarter than a deer...lol

Originally Posted By: seajNever targeted coyotes with a bow, but have killed several w/ my longbow while deer hunting. I rate this like I just killed a wall hanger...I think their MUCH smarter than a deer...lol
Yupp only shoot um with a bow while deer hunting

Shot 3 last year with my bow while deer hunting they do not like a slick trick. One of the ones i shot was at 20yrds didnt even get a nother arrow knocked and looked up and a buck was following the yote he never heard me shoot the yote so when he walked up i let him try out one of the slick tricks he didnt like it either both arrows was sticking in the ground with in a foot of each other

I killed two 2 seasons ago with my bow. I called one of them in and actually got most of it on camera. The first one i dropped and second ran about 100 yds.

Never called one and shot it with a bow but as others have shot a few while bowhunting. A few years ago had four comeing and shot the first one and they were all around the tree trying to figure out what the first one was yippin and growling at. Finally they spooked off and went to put the finishing touch to the first one slide an acc just under it and it chewd it in 1/2. Nocked a second arrow and put it through the boiler room but not before it chew that one in 3 pieces. I figured it was done and it crawled downin the creek and into a hole. Never did find it. Three acc's at $9 plus broadheads. Pretty expenceive.

I shot at a Coyote a few years ago and missed with my Bow..as several stated I'm usually Deer Hunting with my Bow when the opportunity arises...this year I'll have a few distress calls and my mouse squeaker with me so I can coax one in and put an arrow thru one for sure....if all else fails and I have my Concealed Carry license with me I can shoot it with a 9mm then!
laugh.gif

I take my bow predator hunting often. I hunt near city limits and a few spots guns are too noisey. Lots of fun. Use a pop up blind and a 3d guillie with a leafy camo roll blind thingy. I also carry my tc encore .223 for long shots when i am able to shoot my PB's

I do, have called in six at one stand! I go through arrows like crazy though. Ive shot one bobcat as well with bow. Its a diffrent ball game.

I never go bow hunting just for predators, but I never go for deer without a predator mouth call with me. I have called in and shot two with my bow and called in several fox with no shots (though I did almost get run over by a charging grey fox).

Remember the lip squeak if nothing else - it works great at bow ranges and leaves your hands free.

Went out hunting mule deer this week, one morning a coyote howled on the next ridge over. I made one distress call, and within 30 seconds i had that ole dog charging in. I drew my bow at about 10 yards, the coyote clearly saw my movement and backed off to about 30 yards, i overestimated the distance and shot about 2 inches over it's back. Rifle or shotgun and it would have been game over, it definitely is a challenge with a bow.

Work in progress...

I didn't have much time this summer to get out and try it (nor much interest since it was so dang hot and dry), and I played heck lining up partners to go with me to call for some reason, but I've been working on it since the spring.

The more I toyed with the idea, the more I've affirmed that night hunting coyotes with a bow is much easier than drawing on one during the day. I already had a pin light, but I added lumenoks to my arrows, and started practicing in the dark a lot this spring/summer (and lost a lot of arrows doing so).

I've taken the bow at least half a dozen times, this summer, gotten skunked a few times, got busted a few times, and gave up on getting a few of them in close enough and switched to a rifle. This fall I'm going to leave the rifle at home and force myself to either pass, or wait for them to come in closer.

Went out again this weekend to timberline to get my muley. I brought my buddy out for his first hunting trip. It was slow so we decided to call. His very first calling session (sounded funny like a dying duck haha) but he called in a nice yote to literally 3yds. It came around the opposite side of the tree that he was standing and took off when it saw us. Got him hooked for life haha !!

Most memorable hunt with my brother I called in 5 and shot 3 with my bow and my brother filmed it. First one at 8 yards, second at 3 yards, and 3rd at 32 yards on the trot. Yes it's on film for all you naysayers lol! It's also prob my most embarrassing hunt to cause you hear me trying to ki-yi by mouth and it really sounds like I'm the one that needs shot!
Oh and I guess my total actually calling yotes and shooting them is 11 and it's much easier from an elevated point. I've shot a bunch while deer hunting too but I'd have to go back through my journals to say exact #.

Passmore

Last edited:
Not sure how to download and post it? I have it on a DVD and the tape (yes I said tape) it was filmed on not SD card cause it was on my old camera. Any suggestions?

Back