hog hunt

ky old man

going down to tenn in the fall. taking my bushmaster 223.will be hunting hogs from a ground blind. longest shot maybe 100yds. anyone have a suggestion what grain bullet i need. thank you all in advance for your help.

Last edited:
A lot of guys that put on hunts here won't allow a .223 at all. I'd say find the heaviest bullet and sight in with it OR use a bigger caliber if you have it.

62 gr TSX ....
grin.gif

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Nice going on the hogs, Tim. TSX bullets are amazing. I've used them in larger calibers - .300 Rem Ultra Mag, 7mm STW and .338 Mag. All shoot really well, and they drop animals like they were pole axed.

I like the looks of your rifle.

When primarily hog hunting, I generally use a 30-06 or .338 WM but have shot a number of hogs while hunting predators with an AR.
I would prefer 60 gr. NP in the 223, but have shot a number of hogs with 55 gr. BT's when predator hunting and a hog shows up. Have never tried anything other than head shots w/223 placed just behind the ear or half way between eye and ear and either bullet will put them down in their tracks.

2011Freeze4Feb120.jpg

Regards,
hm

i always wanna do hog hunting , where u recommend that ill go some where in tx and if u have any detail u wish to share pls pm me. prices and stuff

Adi, I hunt on an annual lease so have no current information on good hog hunts by the day. Years ago I hunted on a ranch near Cotulla, Tx that had lots of hogs and did day leases but just did a google and found the owner has passed away and the family no longer offer hunts.

Lots of hunts advertised in the hill country and coastal area south of Houston has a lot of hogs. Hopefully someone else can be more specific. Good luck.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke62 gr TSX ....
grin.gif

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Originally Posted By: hm1996When primarily hog hunting, I generally use a 30-06 or .338 WM but have shot a number of hogs while hunting predators with an AR.
I would prefer 60 gr. NP in the 223, but have shot a number of hogs with 55 gr. BT's when predator hunting and a hog shows up. Have never tried anything other than head shots w/223 placed just behind the ear or half way between eye and ear and either bullet will put them down in their tracks.

2011Freeze4Feb120.jpg

Regards,
hm

All very good suggestions. I haven't used the 62gr TSX, but I have used the 55gr TSX and it works very well. I have also used the 60gr Nosler Partition and it works very well as well. Federal also loads the 62gr Fusion that kills hogs well, however they don't group to my satisfaction in any of my rifles(1.5"+ @ 100yds), you might get lucky though. I have been testing the new Winchester RazorBack XT 64gr and have been very impressed with the accuracy of them from my bolt guns and my AR's. Have not shot a hog with them yet, but I expect them to perform much like the TSX as it to is a monolithic projectile.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice going on the hogs, Tim. TSX bullets are amazing. I've used them in larger calibers - .300 Rem Ultra Mag, 7mm STW and .338 Mag. All shoot really well, and they drop animals like they were pole axed.

I like the looks of your rifle.

Thanks David.

Jay , I'm suprised the Fusion didn't shoot well. I've shot them in 243win in multiple guns and they shoot very well.

I can see the 60 NP being a good choice.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeJay , I'm suprised the Fusion didn't shoot well. I've shot them in 243win in multiple guns and they shoot very well.

I can see the 60 NP being a good choice.

Yeah, I was really heart broken because at the time I didn't load yet and they were still relatively cheap. But like I said, he may get lucky, and they did flat stone every hog I ever aimed at.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: adii always wanna do hog hunting , where u recommend that ill go some where in tx and if u have any detail u wish to share pls pm me. prices and stuff

Adi my brotha! Unfortunately hogs in TX mean $ to land owners, even though they do more damage than what they can recoop through day hunting
blink.gif
. I used to have to drive well south and east from where I live to hunt them, but they have begun to move in in large numbers not far from me in the last couple of years and are still seen as a nuisance rather than a source of income for the most part, but that will no doubt change if it already hasn't begun to.

Hogs have truly reached plague proportions in Texas. There is 2 types of land in Texas the way I see it.

1) Land that has hogs.
2) Land that will soon have hogs.

I think we as Texans have a responsibility to kill every feral hog we see, and actively pursue the ones we do not.

Chupa

again thank everyone for your knowledge and advise. and you willingness to share both. this is truly a great forum, thanks to people such as your selves.

When I was a kid, we used to hunt them in central CA with dogs, but we usually used a 12 ga and slugs. I never have shot one with a rifle. I saw a video of some guy kill one graveyard dead with a pre-charged air rifle. I guess there's all kinds of ways to get it done.

I know this isn't .223, but I've been very impressed w/ Barnes TSX bullets as well. Several of my buddies have had good results with them in their muzzleloaders for deer. The penetration/expansion is impressive. As a result, I'm switching over to them this fall.

Back