DPMS- Oracle vs. Sportical

Kollincoyote

Ok a friend of mine wants a new 16" AR. The Oracle has forward assist and the Sportical doesn't. But what are the advantages and disadvantages of both. I have two AR's without the forward assist and have never thought I needed it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have the sportical myself. I wonder how many on here ever use the forward assist? I look at it like 4x4 in the city, why?

When I bought an entry level AR for my younger son I got the Sportical because that was what was available at the time. It was available at a good price for an AR and it has performed well as my boy has killed several deer with it. If the Oracle had been available I would have gotten it instead. I am 'used' to having the FA and dust cover and the receiver itself is a bit smaller in diameter/size. The Sportical uses a different alloy than the regular ARs so the receiver is made a bit thicker. I don't know if this really matters or not. I like the FA to assist in chambering a stubborn round as I reload-but if a round doesn't chamber readily it is probably best not to chamber at all anyway. If I were buying that type of rifle today I would get the Oracle. TTT

Forward assist is just an extra precaution to make sure the round is fully seated in the chamber, in a hunting situation it's not a life or death situation for the shooter like while in combat, While hunting I like loading slowly trying to be quiet I don't slam her home, I merely use the forward assist to make sure she is fully chambered quietly.... just my 2 cents.....

Get the Oracle.... IMO better upper

Either or and you are good to go.

The low pro classic 16 bulls....are scary accurate also...never heard of a bad one of those.

X

I have the Sportical. The forward assist and dust cover is of no use to me. For the recreational shooter and varmint hunter the Sportical is just fine.

DSCN0118.jpg

Depending on what he wants, he might try looking for the Oracle 4R..it has a 4 rail ff tube. $799. new in my area.

Originally Posted By: i.huntMidway has complete Oracle uppers on sale for cheap, I just got the sales flyer.....

And you can save $30 by using promo code 3071277. I just did yesterday.

For just a few bucks more, I wouldn't even think about getting one without the FA or dust cover. Do you slam the doors on your vehicle when you're at a hunting spot or ride around with a loaded gun? If so, then you don't need the FA.

Do I ride around with a loaded gun? No. Do I load my gun as soon as I step out of the vehicle at my hunting spot? Absolutely. When I pull up, the first thing I do is start scanning the horizon. Every now and then you get lucky.

So one driving up to a hunting spot makes that much less noise then allowing the rifle to cycle properly? I like the slick sides, they work just fine for me.

LOL I know, i love all the purists who absolutely HAVE TO HAVE mil-spec. I'm pretty sure my next AR build will be a slick slide. Just don't need that other stuff, so why carry around the extra weight?

Wow this post pops up a year later... He ended up getting the 16" Oracle, its been a good gun from what I've seen. We went out 20 or so times together last year and he never used the forward assist that I know. Here's a pic of him and his first called in coyote kill.

IMAG0787.jpg

He's been shooting factory loads out of it, and I replaced the factory trigger springs with yellow Jp springs and it shoots within a baseball at 100 yards of his elbows... Not the best by any means but he's happy with that.

He has also shot Wolf brand bullets out of it too and it shoots them right up!!!

I have a DPMS bull 20 slick slide (no forward assist).... Love that gun.. over 2000 rounds through it I'm guessing and still shoots 55 gr vmax's straight.

Originally Posted By: Hibs I'm pretty sure my next AR build will be a slick slide. Just don't need that other stuff, so why carry around the extra weight?

Ummm, don't use a slick side for a weight savings. It actually weighs slightly more than one with FA and dust cover. No kidding.

I bought a DPMS lower before the '08 election and it sat a long time in my gun locker. About 2 years ago I put it together and put an Armalite upper on it.

We sell Sporticals at my local Walmart and I really liked the slick upper. Midway USA had them on sale 3 months ago so I bought one. Last week I finally got a barrel mounted on it. (Armalite 16" A2 front sight) I pinned it to my over 4 year old lower and it fit like a glove. Like the two halves were meant for each other.

Everytime I have used my forward assist, it made the problem worse instead of better. I do not miss it or the dust cover. Beware, with the Sportical and no "bump" to deflect the brass, it ejects out at the 5 oclock position. If you are a left hander, you will get it down your shirt.

I'd recommend the Sportical (and the upper) to anyone who wants a light weight AR who is NOT left handed. We sell the Sporticals for $587 and can't keep them in the store.
kwg

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Hibs I'm pretty sure my next AR build will be a slick slide. Just don't need that other stuff, so why carry around the extra weight?

Ummm, don't use a slick side for a weight savings. It actually weighs slightly more than one with FA and dust cover. No kidding.

HA, no kidding? They beef up the receiver?

Back