Coyotes in Colorado?

Coltdriver

I live in Denver and just got everything together to sneak up on wileeee coyoteeee.

Was wondering if any of you experienced Acme Exterminators could point me to a reasonable spot to find a coyote or two in Colorado??

I went up to middle Cherokee Park last week end but the wind was really blowing so all I got was a little rabbit distress call practice.

Coltdriver,
Welcome to the board! I'm down in the Springs and am STILL waitin' to bag my first 'yote...but I do know a couple areas you could try near (relatively speaking) to you. Drop me an email (javaman_2022@yahoo.com) and I'll relay some "secret" info!
:-D

Dawgkilla

------------------
0 for 11, but who's counting!
:)

Well I went last week end and had zero luck, but did get some serious excercise trekking about 6 miles up and down the foot hills at round 7000 feet.

I went today and did manage to call in a couple of crows with a sceery jack rabbit caller. None of them landed where I could get a shot off at em but one came so close to me that I heard the swoop of his wings for a couple of beats.

I worked my way up to a high canyon and found a flock of Magpies flying to somthing on the ground and back to a nearby tree as the crows and a couple of eagles harassed them. Saw an eagle take a magpie when he flew into the group on the ground. I did not want to trek across this canyon, it was at about 8000 plus feet and very steep but I could clearly see the ground discolored with the former life blood of somthing.

When I tried to call in these crows with the rabbit distress they instantly split, so did the eagles. Two crows flew another hundred yards away and then landed in some trees, I tried the mouse squeaker and they promply left. Maybe they are conditioned by amature Acme trainees like me.

Is there a particular time of day that is better??? Probably at sun up right??? How about near sundown?? I was up at this place around 2 in the afternoon after a couple of hours of walking to get there.

Just registered.

I've manged to kill a few in the San Luis Valley where I do most of my hunting. But on a recent drive from Trinidad to Springfield CO I saw a ton of great looking country along with some live coyotes. There is alot of public land there also. I talked with a local and he said that coyotes are abundant. One of these days I hope to make it out there. One of the best ways to locate them in your area would be to use a howler and drive around before daylight and howl at various locations and listen carefully for responses.

bwfreel

Welcome to the forum here at PM
smile.gif
......MP

------------------
olympic-flag1.gif

Back