Rules change in Montana for prairie dogs?

I thought I had read somewhere a while back that Montana might establish a season on P.D.s in order to keep the feds off their backs. I usually head out that way around memorial day weekend and I thought the proposed date was going to open in July. I need to set up my vacation dates at work, does anyone know if the rules have changed in Montana?

------------------
Michigan Area Varmint Shooters

My Web Page

Dave,
RanUtah and I were talking about getting the PD regs from all popular hunting states and posting them or the links to them here.

There has been quite a bit if activity on this site lately and we just trying to catch up.
smile.gif
I will take a look around tonight and see what I can find for Montana. MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

If you find out what Wyoming is going to do, I'd sure like to hear it! Actually, I think that if you find out what Wyoming is going to do, Wyoming would like to hear it... Seriously, last I read in the Trib, Wyo. was just tossing in the towel and leaving it up to the feds. Said they did not want to get into the "prairie dog management business". I'd much rather have them put a season in place and charge me a license fee than have them just say "screw it" and let the feds decide. Could be bad...

- DAA

The legislature is working on a provision in the farm bill that will allow the farmers to use Pdogs as a crop subsidy?! So far there is no change to the regs., the dogs are considered "non-game species" with no seasons or bag limits--you do need to purchase a non-resident "conservation license" though. (It is inexpensive)

Dennis

P.S.: I was out just a couple weeks ago & shot a couple--they were out in the snow on a sunny morning.

[This message has been edited by MTmud (edited 01-08-2002).]

Dave,
Your right. Thats not good news at all. I know Wyoming was discussing a season in October, but that was the last I heard of it.

If the Federally's get into it, they will most likely put them on the endangered list. I would like to take them up there and show them just how many there are. You can't even make a dent in some areas, regardless of how many you shoot. Mike

------------------
yotewalk.gif

MTmud,
Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe they are coming out right now, whats up with that? Are you having a January thaw up there?
wink.gif
MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Actually it was a cold spell for a few weeks, then we had the first clear, sunny day in a while. It was still below freezing when they were out. I went to the field looking for coyotes--I could see a few brown mounds in the all-white field. They were clearing the snow off their mounds.

Acutally, a lot of this @#$@ let loose in the final days of the Clinton adminstration. We have a better guy now. I sense that he would probably have a thing or two to say on the topic, I mean, he does live in Texas.

Dad said Gov. Mike Johannes in NE is on record as stating that he thinks pdogs are a nuisance, will resist state and Federal messing with them.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy

Mike Paul where in Wyoming are they that thick?? I go to the eastern part of the state. The last I knew the federal land had a season but if your on private property thats a different set of rules.

MTmud........... Is the "Conservation License" something new within the last 2 years? I haven't been able to make it out west in the last 2 years due to my job situation. I know that up until now I wasn't required to have a license. Do you think I would be safe in scheduling my vacation for the end of May? Thanks.

Wildman,
Down below Lyman, there are some good places. They haven't made a ruling on it yet.
Just hope the USFG don't step into it like DAA thinks, but I wouldn't be suprized.
wink.gif
MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Thanks Mike I'll take a look on a mapp and see where it is and we can probably spend a couple days checking it out. Were you shooting on public or private land??

Back