Rockchuck Hunting in Idaho

varmintboy54

I have heard that Idaho had some good Rockchuck hunting to be had but don't have a clue on where to go. Was wondering if anyone on this board would give me some ideas on areas to hunt. If you would rather not post it on the board drop me a note at varmintboy54@yahoo.com
Later Mike

Crazy Coyote
Thanks, all info is greatly welcomed. I am looking for a place to take my son this spring and have some fun at the same time
Mike

You need to get up around Mt.Home area and talk o some of the farmers up there they are thick in the fields almost any where you find an alfalfa field you will find chucks best time is early morning or early evenings. I love to hunt them here around Twin Falls when I get the chance. I use eihter 223 or 25-06 depending on how far out I want to shoot them.

Renegade
Thats some real good info. I have never been down in that area but have heard that southern Idaho has some good chuck hunting to be had. I am looking forward to hunting in southern Idaho this spring with the boy. Last year we hunted in the burns area shooting squirrels and my boy had a blast, hes 10 now and looking forward to another hunting trip with Dad. Does a person need a license to hunt varmint in Idaho or is it like Montana where its free?
Thanks Mike

yeah you do have to have a license to hunt here in Idaho not sure of the price. you should be able to get a one day permit for not to much go to the Idaho fish and game web site should be able to get all the information you need. I work in Boise for the National Guards and I work out in the desert it called the Orchard Training Area if you come down around May or June bring a 22 with lots of ground squirrels we call them whistle pigs also lots of badgers.

renegade
Thanks again and yes the boy and I love to shoot ground squirrels too. I have never been around either area you talked about and am wondering what direction I should be heading out of town to find the alfalfa fields. and other other info would help. Drop me a note at varmintboy54@yahoo.com if you would like.
Mike

Varmintboy it's on the way. Also try looking at the Idaho Fish and Game web site to find out more about the license issue.

Renegade

Say I hope you don't mind me jumpin'in here guys. Renegade I have a aunt that lives in Boise,are the farmers around there very friendly towards varminthunters? I would like to try my hand at some groundsquirrles. I know enough to respect the landowners wishes,just wondering what the prospects for a newbie in the area might be.

[This message has been edited by crowshootersuprx (edited 01-18-2002).]

crowshooter do you know the area around Boise at all? just go out to the Orchard training area. it's blm land so you can use it anytime you want as long as you have a license. you can shoot out there all you want. you will also find alot of badgers out there too. Best time for them is early morning or early evenings. Coyotes too but they are vary wary because of the troop movements in the area. and sometimes a stray round from our m16's might get to close to them if you know what I mean
smile.gif
. But to answer your queation last year around Mt. Home the farmers were begging people to shoot rockchucks. for anyone that wants to hunt in Idaho go to the Idaho fish and game web site and look at the nonresident link it has all the information you need.

[This message has been edited by renegade (edited 01-18-2002).]

I use to live in north Idaho, but did lots of work as a surveyor down south. The Cambridge area, right along highway 95, has lots of rock chucks. I hit a few with rocks while working on building a new chunk of highway down there and introduced a couple to the old ‘06 Encore pistol too. You could stop in the bar there, (don’t worry bout which bar, it aint that big of a place) and ask some folks, also the folks that have the local motel pretty well know the people around there and could probably hook you up with some of the right people. Any way, if you start there and just keep going south, you should do all right. Good luck.

This is starting to get good, I want to thank all of you for sharing your info.
I for one will be headed down that way, it sounds great and I might even stay in that little motel who knows.
VB

there are allot of chucks around hagerman. Boise area is thick with groundsquirls. squirls are all over easy to find on blm land so it's easy for someone that doesn't know any one to get access the usually start coming out around mid early to mid april and are gone by the 4th of july. if your headed to the boise area email me and we'll get together.

------------------
"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresposibly, you are not free at all" JACOB HORNBERGER(1995)

Talon,look for big rockkpiles close to green grass, usually these have alot of dirt that the chucks can dig into. If you can find a cliff with dirt around it you will ususally find chucks

Watch the edges of grain fields that are bordered by rocks and lava. They'll either be eating along the edges of the field or sitting in the rocks next to the fields.

Talon, if you ever get up to Twin Falls, Idaho drop me an e-mail about a week before at layton@rmci.net and we'll set something up to teach you about chuck hunting
smile.gif
if you like long range shooting you'll like chuck hunting.
renegade

Back