Varmint shooting gear (Newbie)

voci-nykiel

Greetings:

I live in Beaverton Oregon and would like to get involved with varmint shooting!, I plan to shoot primarly in the Bend oregon area's. I would imagine that rock chuck will be the primary targets so I need some advice on what I have purchased so far.

I have a Remington 700 VS 22-250 rifle with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40mm scope mounted with a Leupold 2-Piece Base and Leupold 1" Low Matte Rings and a Harris (BR) Bipod.

Am I heading in the right direction?, what changes if any would you make with my selections and why?

Any additional info on varmint shooting in my area would be greatly appreciated.

Later...

I think you better send that rifle down to me and I will take care of it for you
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board! Looks like your heading in the right direction. If you want, feel free to browse the archives, there is alot of useful information to be had. All the guys here are very knowledgable and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.As far as your gun and optics are concerned, you have done very good on your choice, I wouldnt change a thing, but then again, it's a matter of personal preference.

That's an excellent all around colony varmint setup. The only thing I'd change is the number of rounds down the barrel.
smile.gif

- DAA

Greetings:

Sorry, I spoke to soon about the rifle!

Actually had the Remington Model 700 VS on order but newyear maddness just struck me hard a few minutes ago and purchased a Weatherby Super Varmintmaster 22-250 instead! - pick her up Wednsday!!!

Was this a wise move?

Later...

Greetings:

I have arrainged to sell my DSA SA58 FN/FAL (.308)assault rifle to support my new interest and help offset the Weatherby Super Varmintmasters price of $1225!

Is this a good choice for the scope?, any comments or recommendations on others or should I just keep this rig?

Later...

Give that Leupld a try and if you don't like it you can send it to me. I am always looking for an excellant scope!

Sounds like you have a solid foundation for a varmint rig. Now all you need is to get some experience shooting it. We have woodchucks here in the east. A 223 or 22-250 works great for them.

Good Luck and keep us posted...

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member
United States of America - Love It or LEAVE IT!

Latest USMC bumper sticker "IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

Back