woodchucks

Originally posted by hairball616:
What is the best time of day to hunt woodchucks? And what is a the favorite food?

Best time of day is early morning and evening. Those critters have fairly heavy coats and do not like the midday heat. The also do not like windy days.

Their favorite foor is soybeans. They will absolutely destroy a soy field if given the chance. I have found them in about every hay field i have ever seen here on the western side of the state.

Good Luck....

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member
United States of America - Love It or LEAVE IT!

Latest USMC bumper sticker "IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

deinately soybean eaters! i live on a farm and we had soybeans, and i shoot them all day...not a certain time of the day here! usually around here they r out between 10-3... thats all i know...except watch righ beside a patch of the forest... they like to have hole on the edge or in the woods!!!! and they dont always die quickly! but when my new 25-06 hits them! tey aint goin very far! ;-)

------------------
vir-flag1.gif

There are three kinds of people in this world!! Those who can count and those who CANT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hunt the HUNTERS or the HUNTERS will Hunt YOU!!

coyote.jpg

The best time for chucks is spring of the year, a warmer day, right after it rains. Chucks are out digging holes and are more interested in that than eating.

They are right soybean is the best but it gets to high approx. 1 1/2 months after planting. Then you have to go to the hay fields which are cut every 2 months or so.

I agree with Mike as to food preferrences and time to hunt them. I hunt central Ontario and find the chuck can often be scarce in the mid day heat. When I glass a field I never omit the shadowy areas around the edges. That's often where the best hunting is, just more difficult to get a good sight picture. Also the first week or two in spring is a riot. They venture a fair amount from the burrow and in their haste to get back to it after being shot at, often appear confused, and scamper all over the place. It's my favorite animal to hunt. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I used to hunt chucks a lot. In chilly weather, they were out in mid-day, enjoying the sun. In real hot weather, they were out early and late in the day.

Conclusion: When I am comfortable outdoors, so are the chucks.

------------------
Critr

fea6c171.jpg.orig.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

[This message has been edited by Critr Gitr (edited 01-13-2002).]

We ain't got no soybeans grown in my area but them whistle pigs go crazy over green beans in your garden.The biggest crop grown around here is Hay.Mostly clover,orchard grass and some alfalfa.
I agree early of a morning and late afternoon,but I've noticed that after about 7:30pm they are holed for the night and I rarely get any shots after that time.After a rain is one of the very best times to go.
Hayfields are the number 1 location to hunt them around here with pasture fields second.
Also right around the 4th of July the young ones is out then and are dumb and will come right back out if you miss them and theys lots of them.You can kill the whole litter if you'll wait them out.I hope this helps! possum

Back