New Night Hunting Scope - Illuminated Reticle

Gman757

I just received a new Weaver Classic Extreme scope today. I got the 2.5-10x50 with the illuminated German #4 reticle. I have been looking for a good scope with an illuminated reticle and this was recommended by a very knowledgeable PM member. I had to wait several months for Natchez to get the scope back in stock and it was worth it. I think this is a great bargain for the price. $289.95

The glass is very clear and bright and the illuminated reticle is the best I have owned yet.... It goes down to very LOW settings. I've lost count at the number of scopes I have ordered and sent back. IMO a scope with an illuminated reticle that is overly bright is basically useless in that regard. The German #4 with the heavy posts and just a lighted dot (red) in the center of the fine crosshairs is perfect for hunting with lights. You don't have to focus on crosshair placement.....you can focus more on the critter and just put the single lighted dot where you want the shot to go. As a matter of fact this reticle adjusts so low that it would be a good choice for night hunting where lights are not allowed.

Another nice feature is the side AO adjustment. I like side AO scopes and it is always a plus to have a fine focus adjustment available, especially in low light. Also, the windage and elevation knobs are under screw on covers and seem to have nice distinct adjustments.

I expected the scope to be a lot heavier and bulky with the 30mm tube but it is a very well proportioned design. One more thing......the eye relief seemed rather long to me (specs say 4 inches) which I consider a big plus for the AR platform. All things considered I think all the features and the 2.5x-10x power range make this a very versatile scope for day or night predator hunting.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800703&src=tpCtg

Last edited:

Good looking scope, with a crosshair I like. I have been using a Mueller Sport Dot that is very similar to the Weaver. Great scopes.

Thanks for posting that. Good looking scope.

Gman757, that is a super nice scope for the money, Weaver is making some good glass again and that one is an outstanding deal.

I have a real nice Leopold VX-R 1-4X-20mm with 30mm tube and the lighted Pig Plex reticule in it and it is really nice with the PVS-14 on the ocular lens (using the 760nm IR cut off filter), super great glass and the lighted reticule can be left on all the time since it automatically turns off after 5 minutes of no motion, once you pick up the rifle it automatically turns on.

I also have a real nice Burris XTR 1-4X-20mm with 30mm tube and lighted ballistic reticule that works excellent at night with the PVS-14 and the IR filter.

A nice high power scope like your Weaver really allows you to pick up the dim light under the tree canopy at dawn and dusk when the yotes are moving around too.

Gman any reason you chose the German#4 over the Dual-X reticle? I've used nothing but standard reticles in the past.

pmack...

It's strictly personal preference. I like having no post on the top for visibility in low light. You can drop the reticle slightly and have a more open view without a post blocking the target. The 3 heavy posts are there for bracketing along with the lit dot for shot placement.

The standout feature in this scope is the illuminated dot. The switch is a rheostat type setup up so that you turn in on then slowly adjust the brightness level. Given that I'm sure you would be happy with the Dual-X if that's what you are used to.

The picture in the link is actually a bit inaccurate. The heavy posts on the German #4 are longer and therefore closer to the illuminated dot than depicted. I wish they had been as depicted but I still like it. (FYI.... With the scope set at 2.5x @ 60 yards the viewable distance between the horizontal heavy posts is approximately 3 ft.)

Last edited:

Those center illuminated dots are really great, in my opinion. I couldn't think of going to another reticle for night shooting. I'm glad to see companies begin to take notice to the usefulness of the illuminated dot reticle.

Do you really need the lighted reticle,those scopes seam to be a lot heavyer.I have not problems at all seeing the cross hairs when useing my kill light.
Is there something i am missing,since ive never tried a lighted reticle?

bobeano....

If you are happy with the way your scope performs without illumination then you obviously don't need one. There is no way for you to really know the difference except to try one.

Technically they do weigh more, but ......I checked specs on the Crossfire II 3-9x40 models and the V-Brite reticle is 1.2 ozs heavier. I doubt that would be noticeable.

Bobeano,

Personally I don't think you need a lighted reticle. Hunters used regular crosshair reticles for many years before the lighted stuff came along, and most probably still do.

I guess it's just a personal preference sort-of thing, for me at least. I like it and it helps me with quicker target acquisition than a crosshair. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and the dot gives me a point of aim that is easy to see, and quick. Even not having the dot illuminated, just a black dot, helps me.

Whatever you are confortable with should be the deciding factor.

ok i got you all now,i thought i was missing something
so far with my killlights,i have no trouble seeing crosshairs with my nikon scopes.i do wear glasses,i sure that helps also.

Back