Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#224274 - 11/29/01 06:01 PM Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Dan Johnson Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Albuquerque, N.M.
Need some info, guys, on which states allow you to shoot crows with a rifle. Any other input on the regulations that might affect this, such shooting near roads, etc. will be appreciated. Would also like to hear of your own crow sniping experiences.

Dan Johnson

#224275 - 11/29/01 07:13 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
boatman Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oskaloosa, IA
Dan,
We dont have many regs on crows here in IA. We do have two different seasons though. We do shoot them with rifles and also call them and blast them with shotguns.

My buddies and I have a board in the shop with a tally of who gets the most in the two seasons. Its probably 50/50 on rifle kills and shotgun kills.

The best shot on a crow I have ever saw, was about 350 - 400 yds off a fence post in a ditch with a M77 Ruger 223. I tell my buddy his shot was pure luck, of course you know what he says, he made the shot. The crow was so far away, in my 12X binos, he was a tiny black bird in a tree.

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote friendly gun!!!

#224276 - 11/29/01 07:50 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
bowhunter57 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: N.W. Ohio
Dan Johnson,
Here in Ohio you can shoot crows with anything. As far as shooting near roads....I try to stay about 50 yards as a minimum, but most of my hunting "set-ups" are more than 100 yards off the road.

I use 6 crow decoys, an electronic tape player w/ a crow "riot" tape and at least 2 boxes of ammo. I'm in full camo and often I'll have 2 or 3 other hunters with me.

I only took approx. 30 rounds once, while my partner took approx. 70 rounds and we got over run with crows and ran out of ammo. That was a bad feeling to see crows still coming to the call and not having any ammo. However, we had a great time and counted 51 crows on the ground plus a few that became "pedestrians" and escaped to be coyote bait.

MORAL: Always take too much ammo!

Good hunting, bowhunter57

#224277 - 11/29/01 09:30 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Dan Johnson Offline
Predator Master

Thanks guys. You are fortunate. Here in New Mexico, we can't shoot them at all. There is not a specific state law against it but when the Feds declared them a migratory game bird NM did not write any regulations on hunting them. So basically they are a game bird with no provisions for taking them.

Dan Johnson

#224278 - 11/30/01 02:00 AM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
okbow68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: okla
Sorry to hear that, you are missing out on some good hunting.

------------------
shoot straight

#224279 - 11/30/01 04:13 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Ozark Charlie Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mulberry, AR USA
Arkansas has the following regulations for crow hunting. Season is Sept 8 -- Feb 28. However, you can only hunt crows Thursday through Monday. Since Federal Law only allows so many days of crow hunting, limiting hunting to 4 days a week extends the number of weeks crows can be hunted. And, No hunting over bait. But the bad news is that crows can not be shot with any rifle except 22 rimfire unless a gun deer season is open, and of course if you wanted to give up your deer season to hunt crows,you would have to wear hunters orange. I imagine that would work really well for crows!
Like most game departments, ours sees their main function as seeing how many new and nonsensical regs they can add each year. Especially where predator hunters are concerned, Arkansas is not a user friendly state.
Charlie

#224280 - 12/02/01 08:50 AM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
varmintslayer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Greenwood,AR
hey charlie you can hunt Crows here in Arkansas with a shotgun it just cannot be with slugs or shot larger than T,and muzzle loaders no larger than a .40.

#224281 - 12/02/01 09:00 AM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
varmintslayer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Greenwood,AR
Hey Dan this regulations site i checked on for New Mexico says there is no closed season!

#224282 - 12/02/01 12:44 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Dan Johnson Offline
Predator Master

varmintslayer;
I saw that in a search through Crow Busters. It is incorrect. Federal law requires a closed season in all states. Obviously the researcher could find no regulations on shooting crows in New Mexico and assumed they were unprotected. Many of us here assumed the same thing but Game & Fish made it very clear otherwise. I have tried to stir up some interest in getting a season here but not a lot of luck so far.

Dan Johnson

#224283 - 12/02/01 03:29 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Ozark Charlie Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mulberry, AR USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by varmintslayer:
hey charlie you can hunt Crows here in Arkansas with a shotgun it just cannot be with slugs or shot larger than T,and muzzle loaders no larger than a .40.[/QUOTE]

Varmintslayer is correct about shotguns, however, since the original question was about rifles, that is how I directed my answer. Sorry for any confusion.
Ozark Charlie

#224284 - 12/02/01 03:51 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Rich in VA Offline

Loc: Rice, VA
VA has different firearm regulations for each different county. My county allows rifle or shotgun, and the season runs from March to August, and then Monday, Wed, Fri and Saturday.

I simply love sniping crows with my 17 Mach IV, you almost always get to see the hits thru the scope. We do the calling thing sometimes with the shottyguns, but the rifle is my favorite. I keep a rifle at the basement window whenever I'm home, overlooking the pasture. Usually good for several every weekend.

Rich in VA

#224285 - 12/02/01 05:24 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
animalloverbutalsohunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Middle of Nowhere!
Heres my county! You can use Anyting to shoot them!
Season:

August 18–March 16 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday only.

Licenses Required:

State or county hunting license
Additional licenses, stamps or permits that may be required:

National Forest Stamp while hunting on national forests
State Forest Stamp while hunting on state forests
Special Archery (see Special License Requirements)
Special Muzzleloading (see Special License Requirements)
Lawful Methods of Taking:

Modern firearms
Archery tackle
Muzzleloading firearms
Electronic calls

#224286 - 12/03/01 04:25 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
rg Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Ky.
Kentucky Regs: seasons:Sept 1-Nov 7 and Jan 4- Feb 28.There is no daily limit or possession limit on crows. Crows committing or about to commit acts of predation may be taken year round: however, persons attempting to take predating crows shall not use blinds, decoys, calls, or other lures to attract birds into shooting range during the closed season.
Above is the official regs. You can use whatever to shoot at crows. Private property, no shooting across roads, etc.have to be observed also.

#224287 - 12/03/01 10:54 PM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Dan Johnson Offline
Predator Master

Lots of great info, guys. Basically, I'm researching the feasibility of writing an article on crow hunting with varmint rifles. It was a passion with me for many years and is certainly challenging, especially shooting them on the ground when they are feeding. Jokers never stand still!

Dan Johnson

#224288 - 12/05/01 11:59 AM Re: Crows with a rifle....what's the regs in your state?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing that drives me nuts about Oregon: Crows are a migratory game bird (Fed regulation) and can only be taken with non-lead shot from a legal shotgun not able to hold more than 3 shells during the season which opens October 1st and goes through Jan 1st. And due to Oregon law hunters are not allowed to "waste" or fail to retrieve any "edible" portion of a "game bird". Don't think I'll ever try crow!

And "THEY'RE THICK AS FLEAS!"

------------------
Matt/Spinner

[This message has been edited by SpinnerShark (edited 12-08-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  venatic 

Forum Stats
48004 Members
83 Forums
286010 Topics
2703595 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
BLASTER, FoxWhisperer, one_who_hunts_with_air, stormking, Swim Bait, Travis P, turk2di

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.