Varget comes through again!!

pyscodog

A few weeks ago I bought a used Remmy in 22-250 AI. It came with a bunch of handloads that almost blew the rifle up, so they were pulled and will be reloaded. I tried some different powder/bullet combo's and was getting really disapointed in the 1 1/2-2 inch groups I was getting. So I thought,humm, Varget and a Berger bullet. If it don't shoot this, I'll re-barrel it or sell the dern thing. Well 35.5 grains and a 52 grain bullet produced a .560 5 shot group and 36 grains dropped it to a .403. I beleive we're on to something!! Good old Varget comes through again.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA few weeks ago I bought a used Remmy in 22-250 AI. It came with a bunch of handloads that almost blew the rifle up, so they were pulled and will be reloaded. I tried some different powder/bullet combo's and was getting really disappointed in the 1 1/2-2 inch groups I was getting. So I thought, humm, Varget and a Berger bullet. If it don't shoot this, I'll re-barrel it or sell the darn thing. Well 35.5 grains and a 52 grain bullet produced a .560 5 shot group and 36 grains dropped it to a .403. I believe we're on to something!! Good old Varget comes through again.

Psycho puppy...

35 gr of Varget, even in a standard 22-250, is a little "light in the loafers"... and for an AI, it's like staying in first gear.

Try a handful of 4007 SSC and 50gr V-Max's or 50gr SBK's, seated to touch.

That thing should scream.

Aw, come on now Cat, if he likes the Varget let em have it. Besides, I think your getting promotionals for pushin that 4007.
grin.gif

I run 36gr Varget with 55s in my one 22-250 with very good accuracy. In most books it is right around the listed max (Hornady 34.6, Speer 36, Hodgdon 36.5 respectively). You usually can stuff in a bit more with no signs of high pressure. For an AI, 37gr is about where I would start. Some data I have seen lists 38 gr to be at or near max, but I think you can usually go a bit more safely. Remember, this is with 55s....

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: pyscodogA few weeks ago I bought a used Remmy in 22-250 AI. It came with a bunch of handloads that almost blew the rifle up, so they were pulled and will be reloaded. I tried some different powder/bullet combo's and was getting really disappointed in the 1 1/2-2 inch groups I was getting. So I thought, humm, Varget and a Berger bullet. If it don't shoot this, I'll re-barrel it or sell the darn thing. Well 35.5 grains and a 52 grain bullet produced a .560 5 shot group and 36 grains dropped it to a .403. I believe we're on to something!! Good old Varget comes through again.

Psycho puppy...

35 gr of Varget, even in a standard 22-250, is a little "light in the loafers"... and for an AI, it's like staying in first gear.

Try a handful of 4007 SSC and 50gr V-Max's or 50gr SBK's, seated to touch.

That thing should scream.

The 4007ssc or RL-17 is where you need to be looking. Good ole' varget is good for everything. That means, it is good for nothing. Varget is like a Crescent wrench. It will get the job done in a pinch, but usually not the tool for the job. IMHO.

My newest Hornady book says 35.7 w/52-53 grain bullet. In my Tikka Varmint the same load was just a tad over 3700FPS. I figure it should be close in the Remmy. My biggest concern was that I didn't buy a POS that needed a new barrel. Now that I know it shoots, I can always pump up the volumn.
lol.gif
Accuracy vs Speed
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17 I bet you own a Mathews too.
grin.gif

LOL.........

isn't the purpose of having a 22-250 is making it scream so that it will kill'em... clean'em.... and cook'em all in one shot...

I use varget in pretty much everything i load. 223s, 22-250, 7-08. gives me awesome groups. I like it because i shoot in -20degree to 100degree weather and i dont have to rework loads. so some of my loads might not be the fastest.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Aw, come on now Cat, if he likes the Varget let em have it. Besides, I think your getting proportionals for pushin' that 4007.
grin.gif

lol.gif
... I get 5¢ for every pound they sell
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Now Smoke quit knockin the good stuff. Why does everybody knock Varget. I bet you own a Mathews too.
grin.gif

Naw not knock'n, just telling the trueth. Being right is not alway popular.

Powder cost is powder cost, so why is there this thing for Varget, as a do all powder?

Does Justin Beaver strike your fancy? Did'nt think so. Why the fad thing with varget?

If you want to just reload to hear your gun go boom and kill well.... something, then go ahead.

If you own a 22-250, or the AI version, step out into the powder world and get more specific.

In my view, varget has actually a very narrow window of usefulness across a wide range of cartridges. That is for another day, but in this case with a 22-250 AI, while varget might be accurate, other more productive powders should be used IMO.

As I have said IMR-4007ssc, or Alliant Reloader 17 should be looked at for a nice velocity accuracy combination.

I am a hard a$$ about this stuff. If varget was a mainstream consumable, it would be for sale in the "as seen on tv" section at Wal-Mart.

Not trying to ruffle feathers out there, but for the 22-250, and AI there are much more productive powders, that cross over as well.
smile.gif

If varget works for you, and you are happy then good on you, but you are missing out on the accuracy, velocity potential of this cartridge. IMO. Especially in the Improved form.

Yep, And I am sure that varget is the only powder that will produce that "once in a life time" group in your rifle.

Not knock'n you foxy, just that varget aint the only powder out there. It does work, but in a narrow spectrum. If you want to limit yourself to that, go ahead, but you will find yourself making excuses along the way.

BTW, the .243 is a bit different than the 22-250.
wink.gif

Since we are off the 22-250Ai subject, here is a 10 shot group that I have handy, shot out of a plain jane 222 Rem Mag with Imr- 4895 and 52gr Sierra MK's. The fly'r made it .538, but 9 shots landed in .351
wink.gif
Did'nt need varget here.

groups002.jpg

Never said it was the "only powder" it just tends to work well with most of the cartridges I load for.

I hunt. I don't shoot competivley.

Limiting? A good repeatable group is just that, a good repeatable group. I see nothing limiting about it.

Just my 2 cents which is worth what you paid for it. If you wanna spend hours and $ looking for that perfect little powder, go ahead. Me? I'll keep loading varget for my 22-250 and .243 and continue to hunt with sub moa varget burning rifles

Varget and h4831 have been sub MOA in any rifle I have tried. It's just easy to meter, work and is quite stable. What's not to love?

That is fine foxy, but your 22-250 and your 243 will be under performing. Maybe you should just stick with the 221 Fireball and maybe the 6x45.

If you have a corvette, let it run, if not get a Ford escape or something.

It is possible to have velocity, and accuracy. varget may do it for you, but if you load a 300 win mag to 30-06 standards, what have you gained? All in the name of one powder do all?

Yes, if you have three rifles, and they all shoot varget well and that is where you are, fine. Dont sacrifice the potential of a cartridge for the sake of powder is all I am saying.

Black powder used to be the end all powder. It worked in everything, and well I might add. We have grown since then.

Best regards.

Back