Any good ground squirrel hunting up here?

Hi, not too much in the area unless you know someone with property along the Delta region but then that's questionable at times. I usually go up to Cedarville or Alturas in the spring and early summer for some serious squirrel shooting. I am in the Elk Grove area, where are you located at and maybe we can hook up sometime so shoot me an e-mail. See ya, I hear a coyote calling my name up in Spenceville area.

------------------
If you don't know what a red cloud is you have'nt hit anything yet......
Sacramento Contender Shooter / Varmntmstrs@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Varmntmstrs (edited 11-20-2001).]

I have heard about the great hunting up in Cederville and that they have a "Great Squirrel Roundup" every spring. Are the squirrels up there the same as the California Ground squirrels in the Central coast area? If not what are they and how big are they?
Dak....

They are called a Beldings Ground Squirrel but they actually look like a miniature prairie dog. They burrow like dogs and stand up like them also so if you want to practice on targets just shrink down a dog target to about half size and there you have a Cedarville squirrel. I have attended one squirrel roundup and the day of the shoot was so cold I did not do well but the following day was fantastic. I prefer to shoot in Fort Bidwell myself which is about 25 miles north of there. Just about anywhere in the valley will produce these little gems and the nice thing about the area is high country desert surrounds the area so when you get bored with shooting squirels all day just travel east of town and find some coyotes. If you have the exploding varmints video like I do then half of that movie was shot in the Cedarville area as well. Just cut and paste or click on the link below to see the squirrel.
http://donb.photo.net/photo_cd/c/m65.jpg

------------------
Sacramento Contender Shooter / [url=mailto:Varmntmstrs@cs.com

They look very much like Richardson Ground Squirrels which we called "Dakrats" when I lived in North Dakota. Hell of a lot of fun too shoot. Tell me, how many do you shoot in an afternoon up there? I was thinking of taking a pilgrimage up there this March!

I never really counted but I usually go through about a 1,000 rounds of ammo in a weekend and I have heard of guys going trough more than that. For the last roundup there was three of us in the RV and there was probably 21 guns in the back if that gives you any idea of how much fun you can have up there. If you go in the early spring before the roundup plan on possible snow if it is before or early March. I like to go now in April and you need to make contacts with farmers and don't forget there phone numbers so you can call them every couple of months to check on when they will be cutting the alfalfa. The best time for shooting is right after the cut or up to two weeks after it. anytime before or to far after will result in not seeing the squirrels due to the grass being too high unless you are on top of an RV or van. Do not forget to use some sort of shooting table and most of us use an Outers varmint shooting rest for the quick turns you need to make at times and this rest pivots and changes elevation quickly to accomodate. If you do not know what scope eye is you will after a trip up there hahahahahaha. If you decide to go let me know and I can show you around. I will be checking on the alfalfa status next year on a regular basis. Shoot me an e-mail at Varmntmstrs@cs.com........ See ya

------------------
Sacramento Contender Shooter / Varmntmstrs@cs.com

Back