Hornady Z-Max on Coyotes?

Terry N.

Has anyone tried the Hornady Z-Max bullets on coyotes? The bullets are attractively priced at a few places, and I'm considering buying 500. I don't want them if they're only suitable for smaller animals or paper, though.

I'm pretty sure that the Z-Max bullet was specifically designed to bring down the zombies ... I would highly recommend using the bullet for it's intended purpose.

huh.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760They arev the exact same bullet as a VMax. And work well.

Wich ones are you using Shane? Cal/gr I have yet to try them but the info I have found is that they are different colored Vmax. And cheaper too.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: pahntr760They arev the exact same bullet as a VMax. And work well.

Wich ones are you using Shane? Cal/gr I have yet to try them but the info I have found is that they are different colored Vmax. And cheaper too.

It's the exact same thing as the 55 grain V-max.... just a different colored tip, and a box for marketing. A few bucks cheaper then the V-max, not exactly sure how that works out, but buy away while they have them!

So you have shot Coyotes with the Z Max too? Im just wondering about hands on performance. I have never tried them. How did they perform? I think that is what the poster was asking.

Just looking for something fun to do this summer I bought a couple boxes of them. I've used V-max's for years, off and on, so I figured it'll at least get a chuckle out of the guys in the morning while I load up mags. Seriously thinking about adding some "zombie green" furniture to one of my AR's just for kicks too.

Why not right? Can't take yourself too seriously all the time!

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: pahntr760They arev the exact same bullet as a VMax. And work well.

58 gr in my 243. Easy accuracy. I have tested em out on gongs out to 400 with ease.

I've only shot Jacks with em, same performance as the VMax

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Shane.. I just got a box of 55 gr Noslers to try in My new 243. Was wondering how the Z max did too. I cant imagine that a 3900-4000 fps projectile wouldnt put a hurt om em.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyI'm pretty sure that the Z-Max bullet was specifically designed to bring down the zombies ... I would highly recommend using the bullet for it's intended purpose.

huh.gif

+1

From Hornady's page

Be prepared for Zombiegeddon...
when VARMINTS ATTACK!

Just in Case… Get Loaded with Z-MAX™ Bullets and PREPARE to "Mist"ify Zombie Varmints!

Explosive Hornady® performance comes in every Z-Max™ bullet specifically designed to vaporize zombie varmints.
Ultra-flat trajectories send mangy menaces to the varmint graveyard.
Combined with AMP™ jacket technology, the Z-Max™ bullet is built to...MAKE DEAD PERMANENT!

No where does it state that they should be used on living things! Now if you shoot them first with any other bullet and then shoot them with the Zmax bullet you will be fine!

Now I know why they always have those stupid warnings on every product. You read them and think to your self "Now who in their right mind would do such a thing?" And now I know who.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyI'm pretty sure that the Z-Max bullet was specifically designed to bring down the zombies ... I would highly recommend using the bullet for it's intended purpose.

huh.gif

ONLY if Zombies are legal within your state... and you have a SPECIAL ZOMBIE
LICNSE... as well as KNOWING where your local Zombie Check Stations are located.

If you kill over your limit...then you will have to appear on the Jerry Springer Show.

Use the 58 grain Vmax in my 243. Works really well, good groups, dead coyotes, and sellable fur. Picked up a 500 count 58 gr Z-max in March to finish out the season. Shoots identical to the Vmax. Have noticed though that I have had zero coyotes come back to life with the Zmax bullet. Have had several come back to life with the Vmax. I have always blamed this on the shooter, but now I don't know.

Originally Posted By: BoeydafunkZmax uses a diffetent jacket and is cheaper to make than the vmax. Rounds are similar, but are not identicle

WHERE IS PROOF.... PLEASE... I'D LIKE TO KNOW....THANKS...

Back