Coyote anotomical skeletal reference?

Yoteless in Ohio

I am looking for reference drawings of skeletons of coyotes from different angles. Front, side, quartering too.

There is a sticky on this page by yellowhammer, but the pics don't come up.

Anyone have anything?

I want to understand shot placement better for forward and quartering shots on coyotes.

One of the best things I ever did for bow hunting deer was to study similar references. I found out I was always shooting too far back on broadside shots for fear of hitting shoulder and leg bones. They are much further forward than I thought they were!

Here is a side vies

CoyoteVitalSpota.jpg

Side view for shot placement

CoyoteVitalSpotc.jpg

So is the best broadside shot at the drawn circle, or even a bit forward, about in line with a line between the elbow and the tip of the scapula (at the same elevation as your circle)? I am unsure of what is in the circle other than lung, but can one hit heart, nerve trunk, arteries, AND lungs farther forward at that same elevation?

The reason I ask is that in Florida I once hit one with an arrow precisely in that forward location that dropped and scooted across the ground for a second and expired within a few seconds, and a second one that was travelling with it stopped (after checking on his pal) at the impact site, and I was able to plant a second shaft. That one hit precisely on your circle, and that one blazed away, I followed the lung spray until he bled out, and found him almost 200 yards away, versus 30 feet for the other one. Did I just get lucky on the first one maybe? I was using broadheads at 65 lbs draw if it makes a difference...

The indicated circle is just a junction of lines running up the leg and down the neck...The heart is nestled between the lungs...Many hunters will tend to shoot a little farther back for fear of hitting the shoulder bones and they just don't exist where you would normally imagine them..

In one of my files, I have the same type of photo from the front, but apparently didn't load it into PhotoBucket..

Hmm... Well, I can add that in hogs one needs to aim farther forward than they think they need to, or they will gut shoot, because the lungs are farther forward than they are in other critters. I usually go for the midpoint between the eye and ear or the end of the jaw and the ear. They are DRT. I will try to remember about the leg bone on the yote though, thanks for the pics. I know they will come in handy this year (when it cools off, and cawilson and I can get out and shoot some songdogs!)

If you come across that front view pick at some point, post it up, it would be appreciated!

That leg bone really is far forward! The heart is no where near where I would figure it either!

Last edited:
Back