How to blow yourself up...

I saw a guy about let his girl shoot a ML with the rod still in the bbl. I heard a "Hey..Hey...HEEEYYY! " just as he was telling her to pull the trigger!

When I was a teenager, I did a lot of dove hunting with a Belgian made double barrel 12 ga. percussion shotgun. It was given to me by my boss and a gunsmith friend for (high school) graduation present, then the gunsmith (mostly) and I restored it.

Any rate, I was in a hot dove field one afternoon; had fired one barrel, took the cap off the unfired barrel for safety and was reloading the MT barrel. Had just tamped the powder down when a slow "floater" approached. Not one to pass a "gimme", I left the rod in the barrel I was loading and hurriedly capped the gun and fired as the dove loafed by. Only problem was, that I got confused as to which barrel was loaded and which was being re-loaded and shot the ramrod at the bird! Well, the ramrod was one we had made from a dowel with a flared copper tubing end on it which was poured full of lead......worked great as a ramrod, not so much as a field load. It tumpled end over end, making a low whistling noise while passing about 10" in front of the dove, which was in the midst of some of the most creative aerial maneuvers you have ever seen.

Retrieved the rod, reloaded and continued the hunt after looking over my shoulder to see if anyone had seen my blunder.
blushing.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996When I was a teenager, I did a lot of dove hunting with a Belgian made double barrel 12 ga. percussion shotgun. It was given to me by my boss and a gunsmith friend for (high school) graduation present, then the gunsmith (mostly) and I restored it.

Any rate, I was in a hot dove field one afternoon; had fired one barrel, took the cap off the unfired barrel for safety and was reloading the MT barrel. Had just tamped the powder down when a slow "floater" approached. Not one to pass a "gimme", I left the rod in the barrel I was loading and hurriedly capped the gun and fired as the dove loafed by. Only problem was, that I got confused as to which barrel was loaded and which was being re-loaded and shot the ramrod at the bird! Well, the ramrod was one we had made from a dowel with a flared copper tubing end on it which was poured full of lead......worked great as a ramrod, not so much as a field load. It tumpled end over end, making a low whistling noise while passing about 10" in front of the dove, which was in the midst of some of the most creative aerial maneuvers you have ever seen.

Retrieved the rod, reloaded and continued the hunt after looking over my shoulder to see if anyone had seen my blunder.
blushing.gif

Regards,
hm

Too funny! You just made my morning with this one HM !!!!!!!!!
lol.gif

Shooting my 50 cal Hawkin black powder rifle from my back yard bench one day. Fired a round and placed the rifle in the loading stand. My dog began barking furiously in his "get over here quick something is really wrong" bark. I poured 90 grains of ffg powder down the bore and the barking got louder and more intense so I put the cap on the powder and walked around to the front of the garage to see what the trouble was. A stray dog had entered the yard and was now running off so I put my dog in the shop and returned to the bench. Poured 90 grains of ffg powder down the bore, (see where this is going?)placed a patched ball in the muzzle and rammed it home, put a cap on the nipple, took careful aim at my target and fired.

The recoil broke my index finger and bruised my shoulder. The rifle held together and is still in use today but the memory lingers on and I'll probably never do that again.

I had an experience similar to hm1996's but I was deer hunting. I was still hunting down an old gaswell road when I spoted a lone doe 70 yards away down in a gully. I took aim and let it fly missing badly. the deer just stood up and looked around trying to figure out what that noise was. She stood there as I hurried to reload before she bolted away. Finally I was reloaded. i pulled up took very careful aim and slowly squezed it off. At the shot I watched my ramrod zip out the barrel and go flying. I never did find it and I had to deal with a lot of ribbing when I got back to camp.

made a mistake last fall when i grabbed the wrong powder can.

nearly lost both my eyes. still have hundreds of particles embedded in my eyes. the one eye has "large" particles the other mostly smaller ones. the doc says unless they rust and interfere with the vision, they can stay there.

rifle was a kimber montana 243. the bolt would not open, the stock was broken in several places. the action set back in the stock about a half inch.

the last thing i saw before it all went black, was a bright yellow flash. i dont do painkillers, but i needed them for my eyes. doc said i burned the surface of the eye off.

thanks for the well wishes sshooterz.

it has definitely put a damper on my loading. for months i loaded nothing. every time i shot i wondered if i had screwed up that load too. i have been loading since 1987 for pistols, and rifles with many thousands of rounds loaded. prior to that day in october, i had never had an issue. the day i loaded those i was not in a hurry, not under any kind of influence, just grabbed the can, saw the color of the label and went on my way.
i have loaded since then, but it is always in the back of my mind. i have always been attentive to detail, but now i triple check everything.
about a week after i blew up the kimber, i shot my biggest bear yet, scored 21 1/4. to be able to see and shoot that bear was a wonderful thing. you sometimes dont appreciate things as much as you should until an event like that.

As you said, we appreciate our blessings more when we have a close call. Thank God your sight was spared.

Regards,
hm

6724, I know what your feeling. Mine is the left eye from a blast. Was gonna have lasic correction done, now they say my vision is not correctable. Wake with the spots every morning. Takes about 5 minutes for them to clear up. Sometimes we dont appreciate the small things until they are taken from us. I am sorry for your eyesight.

When I was a teenager, I had a 58 cal Zoive muzzle loader. I shot all my mini balls at turtles on the lake as we walked around. I came upon a willow bush that had a yellow jacket's nest in it right next to my favoriet fishing hole. I put about 300g of FF black powder in the muzzle loader, cocked the hammer back, and let her fly! The recoil was so heavy that it knocked my hat off, spun me around with the gun fly'en out of my hands, and slapping the gun against the tree.

The whole darn top half of that willow bush was Gone!

I think that it swelled the barrel on my muzzle loader, it never shot well again.

....That's for sure!!! Enough recoil to give you a serious case of "Magnum Eyebrow"!

Ask me how I know.

I was at the local range, checking my .50 inline for accuracy, had already fired 3 or 4 shots, and allowed myself to be distracted. I was going to mark my ramrod with a charge and bullet in the barrel, so that later it would be easier to ascertain if it was charged.

The distraction came and went, ramrod was forgotten,(still in bore), nipple capped, hammer cocked, settle in behind scope, and squeeeeeeeeeezzzze trigger.

WHAT THE ........????? OOWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Blood starts running down my nose, hurts like xxxx, and I didn't know what had happened. It took me several minutes to see the ramrod laying at the 25 yd. mark, then finally it dawned on me.

End result: semi-circle cut between my eyes, black eye for 1 1/2 weeks, ruined ramrod, felt like total idiot.

Also made me much more cautious at the range.

Back