any Arkansas hunter's here?

i hunt coyotes and deer up and down the crowleys ridge area, shirey bay and over on the spring river.never hunted western arkansas.

Howdy Varmintslayer,
I'm not far from you about 30 miles Northwest in Crawford County. I've been calling off and on for a long time. Actually called my first fox on Crowleys Ridge in 1968. But Game & Fish folks make calling a pretty tough go in AR. Can't be on a management area (most of where I have to hunt and where the coyotes need to be thinned) with anything other than a rimfire rifle or a shotgun (no shot larger than #4 or T) except during gun deer season. Makes no sense, but it is a game warden law--that is supposed to keep folks from poaching deer out of season. Yeah, right! I like to hunt bobcats best, but really only have from Jan 6 when deer season closes until furbear season closes on Feb 10 for good guality hunts. Same with foxes, but have not done well on fox anyway.
I tried a 22 mag last winter on White Rock management area with really poor results. Will use shotgun this year.
Once asked a game & fish supervisor what predator hunters would have to do to get more favorable laws and he told me to forget it until we had the political clout that the duck/deer/turkey hunters had. So, varmint hunters are pretty much the poor step children to Ark Game nad Fish Commission. John Heuston and outdoor writer in Little Rock has worked on them for years with little success. Have a good season.

hey moutain medic, my brother lives in southeast oklahoma, but there is no prarie dogs there i heard there are some in south west oklahoma? im not for sure "lawton"OK. how far do you have to travel out of OKC to find prarie dogs?

I really don't know of any P.D. towns around. I will ask around though. If you find anything out let me know and I will do some footwork to set up a place for us to call.

well i emailed a oklahoma game warden he said they are located mostly northwest oklahoma, and the only place to hunt them is on private land so to hunt them you would need permison he said i might put a ad in the newspapers up there or the are to try and see if the land owners would respond he thought a few would....

Howdy,
I live just outside of FT. Smith. We have lots of public land including a large military training ground to hunt. Plenty of coyotes and bobcats to be found. Feral hogs in some spots, shot a nice 175 lb sow during deer season; pretty tasty. Some pretty reliable reports of cougars in the mountains.
Take care,
Greg

Originally posted by Tactical Nuke:
I've recently started varmint/predator hunting in Arkansas and the laws for caliber restrictions are anything up to and including 30 cal and shotgun.

Howdy Tactical Nuke and welcome aboard. Just wanted to mention that the 30 caliber rule applies to private land. Keep in mind that on Wildlife Management areas except during gun deer or bear season, the rule is .22 rimfire only. And shotgun for coyotes and cats must be used with shot no larger than T or number 4. # 4 buckshot, that I've used pretty successfully in Oklahoma is prohibited.
Know the laws. There are some AR Wardens who don't like varmint hunters and think that we are using it as an excuse to poach deer. So know the laws to keep your self out of trouble.
Soon as this last deer season gets over, hopefully us Arkies can have some fun. Good luck
Ozark Charlie

Hunt hard and watch your back!

varmintslayer,
I moved here (Greenwood) from Iowa and have not called since moving. Decided to get back into it. I have a .243 Ack Imp and a 22 mag for hunting Chaffee. Just completed a Azden/MP3 remote calling rig. Been out twice with out results; once in Chaffee and once over by Booneville.
Several of us like long range shooting and have been using the range over at Paris since summer.
How has your calling been going lately?
Greg

well I havent got to go in the last 2-3 weeks, know it is muzzle loader season for deer i dont deer hunt but were i want to go call there is a some deer hunters, i was thinking of going today over there " maybe run them out of the area" hehe i got 1 coyote about 6 weeks ago, i want a bobcat, who all can use this range in Paris? I would like that how far can you shoot in yds? I would like to try out chaffee...

Varmintslayer,
The Paris range is open to the public.
It is at a landfill transfer station north of Paris about five miles. On Saturday it opens at 7 or 8 to 4 or so. The rest of the time you can get the key from the Paris police at their station on the east side of Paris; no hassle just sign it out.
There are berms at 50, 100, 200 and 250 yards. It is not fancy but does have a roof. Sometimes the wire is in rough shape good idea to take boxes and clothes pins. Free of charge with a box for donations. You are shooting due west, so mornings are best unless it is very cloudy.

Was out on Chaffee (east of 96) this afternoon three stands no results. Even tried a coyote locator call a couple of times, no reply. Seemed real dead out there; no birds, squirrels, nothing.

Maybe me or my rig! First time to go electronic. In Iowa I just used a cheap plastic call. When they came it was like their tail was on fire. May have to try it again.
Greg

sorry about the bad day, i went this afternoon and got nothing, im changing my stlye next time out, i know where some coyote's are for a fact i hear them every night, and a another place with bobcats 5 miles south of Greenwood off Mt. Harmony rd. How is your Booneville area? I'll be going next Saturday, im off 4 day's in a row stating with saturday....

Hey ya'll... I used to hunt on Chaffee religiously when I lived less than a mile from the fence... I never had much luck calling there... The best place with the most predator sign is in area 5 near the big drop zone... I shot a couple there in '96 and '97... Believe it or not I killed them with a 12 gauge... Anyway, the predators in Chaffee are well educated... You have to catch them when they are very hungry to see one. The few that I killed, I shot when there was snow on the ground.

Hey Varmint Slayer, Let me know when you get ready to go! Tight groups!

Back