60 gr Nosler Partition Gold in .223

Mike McDonald

I ordered a box of 50 last week. Does anybody have any experience with these bullets? I plan to use them on Cous White Tail that weigh about 75 lbs, but thought they might be a good choice for coyotes too. The partition bullets are supposed to hold together well and I am hoping they will expend their energy before cratering the exit side of the coyote.

Mike, I doubt that they will expend their energy inside a coyote. I have a friend who is a guide on a Texas game ranch. He tells me this bullet is becoming popular with his clients, mostly on exotics.He was very impressed with the performance from an AR15 on a 300 lb feral hog. Complete penetration through the shield.

------------------

Rich Higgins

Well it ought to knock the snot out of the mini-deer we have in the Huachuca Mountains.

It's a good thing their small though. I went hunting several years ago with a buddy and he popped one of those little Cous white tails from across a canyon. It damn near killed us both getting it out of the canyon. And we were both on active duty in the Army and in good shape. I don't know what we would have done if it had been a muley or on of those monster bucks like the boys back east have. Probably quartered it and packed it out.

I didn't get a deer that year, but I did have a lion give me the eye from about 30 yds away. I was sitting under a big Juniper tree watching some deer trails that came through the area. Then I saw 2 great big black circles that weren't there the last time I scanned that area. It took me a few seconds to figure out that it was a lions eyes because the lion was sitting down, and the grass was exactly the same color as he was. I put the cross hairs on him and just looked. He got up and walked off after a couple of minutes. I guess he figured I was too stinky and stringy to be a good meal. I'm sure somebody is thinking "Why didn't you shoot it?" Hey, I was DEER hunting, not lion hunting. That is a memory I will never forget. It's also the only lion I have ever seen.

I've used them on coyotes - most went though, a few hit joints and exploded. Use care you don't hit a ball joint on them deer and they should do fine.

Catskin,
Welcome to PM!
I have never used the partitons in 224 caliber, but I know they hold together well in bigger calibers. I would think that speed might have something to do with the way a bullet reacts also. I have seen FMJs blow up when hitting bone or meat at speeds around the 3600 fps mark and above with the .224 once in a while. These bullets were only 55 grainers though. Mike, let us know how they do!
smile.gif
MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 10-13-2001).]

Back