Ground Sqirrel Calling

crittergitter82

Hey, Anybody out there ever call ground squirrels? My inlaws have 40 acres of alfalfa & the squirrels get a little gunshy. I usually get three and then have to wait a week. thanks

------------------
crittergitter82

When I lived in SW Utah, I hunted the little Whitetail Antelope ground squirrels every chance I got - which was almost every day for 8 years. These little guys were pretty widely scattered, didn't really live in colonies, and were not ones to sit still long in any one place, especially when they saw me coming. Since we also had more than our share of ravens and hawks in the area, I found that if I gave a short blast or two on a crow call or hawk whistle, the little diggers would freeze where they were, giving me a chance for a shot. I also tried several of my tree squirrel calls on them, not as instantly effective, but they did stop to look (out of curiosity I suppose). Not exactly calling them "in" I guess, but it worked and gave me many memorable days afield while scouting for coyote sets, sharpening the eye and getting some offhand practice. BTW, if in a full day hiking in the desert I put 7-8 of these little diggers down, it was a very good day. The ping pong ball sized kill zone made them "big game" at a couple hundred yards.

Here's a short photo string I did on one of those hikes.

Ladobe

ladobe1b.jpg

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. They sell squeakers at my local hunt shop but nobody knows anything about them. Ill just have to try it. Do these messages get automatically deleted? I dont want to waste your space.

------------------
crittergitter82

The "squeaker" you are referring to is probably a "mouse" squeaker. Not the same thing as a squirrel call. Squirrel calls mostly imitate the bark, or chirp of a squirrel - usually the alarm call. You might find an old Herter's someplace, or one of the Olt models (S-8 or B-10), maybe a Mallard Tone or a Lohman - there are lots of them.

No, only the "list gods" can delete messages now days on PM (for whatever their "logical" reasoning is behind that I don't know). Besides, you are not wasting space here at all - your question was valid, in the appropriate forum and deserves any answers or help other users will pass along to you. BTW, welcome to the board.

I also do the larger diggers in the Medicago fields myself, especially a ways north of here. I have not had the problem of them being gun shy, but most of my shots are at 200+ yards and with baby 17 and 22 centerfires. I guess that's neither close nor loud enough to bother them. Even the walking hunts I do with the 22 rimfires produce lots of "easy" shots inside of 100 yards. HTH

[This message has been edited by Ladobe (edited 09-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ladobe (edited 09-06-2001).]

Crittergitter82, Don't worry about takingg any space, we all learn here from eachother.Use as much as you need too!!!

Shooter's Oasis sells a "Gopher Call", FWIW...
Can't say I've had any great success with mine, but I haven't used it that much...

>http://www.shootersoasis.com/ <

Good people to deal with, too!

Tom

------------------
It doesn't matter which pro-gun/hunting outfit you support, but do send some money to ONE, anyway! Money talks, in politics...

Wow, this is a great site. No baloney, just the skinney. I have Monday off and plan on devoting it to a little squirrel eradication. Thanks

------------------
crittergitter82

Mike -

Made a few changes to that Contender since the above picture was taken. Biggest change was to an exhibition grade barrel length stock set from Bullberry (Fred's personal private wood - my design) in Screwbean Mesquite with Birdseye Maple caps.
Also tried a Leupold 4X scope mounted low for a while, then settling on the Burris 2-7X AO with target knobs (shown on a 14" in this picture) on the 12" Bullberry 22LR Match barrel. Diggers die with this rig.

Ladobe

22Match.jpg

CG82, I am using an OLT bellows type squirrel call for tree squirrel and at Cedarville it did come in handy a few times with some stubborn ones stuck in the hole. All I did was cover the end of the wood to make a fainter call and it got there curiosity up long enough to lose it permanently. LOL I am located in Sacramento, if Gridley is in the general vicinity drop me a note and we can hook up sometime. See ya and good luck..........James

Ladobe, Nice gun. OK, beautiful gun. Took your advice and backed up to 200 yards from a hundred. This makes me longest shot at 300 plus from corner to corner. Will have to get serious with "clicks now". Only got two but should have had 12. They would not sit still very long. Im shooting a model 700 22-250 with Bushnell Banner 6-18x50. I want to upgrade the scope as soon as the budget lady lets me. Gotta try and get to the gunshop & check out the call situation. Thanks again

------------------
crittergitter82

Back