New Toy

trcuda

Got to go shoot my latest toy today. It is a Sako L461 action with a PO Ackley bbl in 17-222 (yes #1, the one we talked about!) It apparently had been shot very little before I got it but was a little dirty in the bore. I loaded up some test rounds using Benchmark in WW cases using Rem 7 12/ primers and 20 gr. V-maxs. Started with 20.0 gr. with a velocity of 4050 fps and worked up to 23.3 gr with a velocity of 4458 fps! The 23.3 gr load had slight cratering of the primer and the velocity increase had leveled off around 22.7 (4398 fps) so I backed my load down to 22.7 and loaded up a bunch to test tomorrow. It looks like Medicago (my 17 CCM) now has a long range partner. The diggers better watch out next year! Oh yeah, all the test loads except one went into a 3/4" cluster! The one out was an inch low and right. I think that it was the last (23.3) shot. Cleaned it when I got home and found a bit of powder fouling but no copper. I had been a little worried because I have heard that Ackley's .172" bbls had a tendancy to foul badly. Anyone else seen any data on the 17-222? I have checked Kindler's book and Wildcats but the only data I have found so far is Ackley's and Saunders'.

Tim (#3)

trcuda
Sounds like you have quite the shooter there. I can't help you with that load but I'm sure someone here or in the reloading forum can give you some good data. Ladobe just might be able to help you there also.
smile.gif
MP
-----------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 08-19-2001).]

If you are throwing away the old, beat up, slow, hard to load Cooper I would give it a good home.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Scott F (edited 08-20-2001).]

Nix #2!!!
You proved at DW1 that getting the wee cartridges aligned in the chamber was well beyond your DDD and that you suffer with an extremely low EHCF and MOMQ. Besides, #3 has already painted it the official DW1 color - so you'd just loose it anyway.
tongue.gif

#1 said that with a
biggrin.gif

(Degree of Digit Dexterity)
(Eye-Hand Coordination Factor)
(Mind Over Mater Quotient)

Now just you hold on there for a minute #1, while all that may be true the doctor has told me there is help. At least I think that is what he said... well somebody said something...I think he had a white lab coat so he must have been some kind of doctor...

I would give it a good home, I promise I would.

I think.

I couldnt find my load data when I got my 17/222 either, so good luck!

One thing I did want to say was that a ton f people just told me to drop a .17 rem load data down 15% and work up from there watching for pressure signs about 10% down from the 17 rem loads. I did this and found a SWEET load for mine! I am using 22.5 grains of H-380 behind a 20gr v-max or a 25gr hornady hp and shooting some amazing groups. Talkin .3's from a douglas premium barrel.
You might try that, its not too hot a load, I think I started with 21.5 and worked up to 23.5
I got a couple other loads from the guy I got it from, next time I am home I will get those and post them for ya. I know they were using H-4895 and shooting pretty decent, about a half inch.

Back