tnshootist

Do any of you fellow shooters have reliable knowledge of an AD of a reasonable quality,not race gun,1911 carried properly cocked and locked? If you do,do you know why it happened?

Not likely unless someone whom didn't know what they were doing started playing with the grip saftey/trigger/sear/hammer relationship, and/or haphazardly swapped out parts without a proper function test and fitting of said parts.

But I'll bet there is more to this question....

Last edited:
ADs usually happen when someone, even an experienced shooter, is either clearing or charging the weapon...We used to have officers that would clear their weapons in the locker room while they were changing from uniform to street clothes (or the opposite) and once in awhile one would happen...We had to finally outlaw that practice...Of course, days off without pay went right along with any such events...

I have run into some holsters that were poorly designed/made that would cause the disengagement of the thumb safety, but most 1911s still have two others to prevent accidental discharges..

Of course, there are the numb nuts that can't remove their fingers from the trigger guard when placing a pistol into the holster and wind up running a round down their legs or close to it..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleADs usually happen when someone, even an experienced shooter, is either clearing or charging the weapon...We used to have officers that would clear their weapons in the locker room while they were changing from uniform to street clothes (or the opposite) and once in awhile one would happen...We had to finally outlaw that practice...Of course, days off without pay went right along with any such events...

I have run into some holsters that were poorly designed/made that would cause the disengagement of the thumb safety, but most 1911s still have two others to prevent accidental discharges..

Of course, there are the numb nuts that can't remove their fingers from the trigger guard when placing a pistol into the holster and wind up running a round down their legs or close to it..

+1 You hit the nail on the head.

I have carried a 1911 for over 40 years. I carry it cocked and locked "without" one in the chamber. I change the hammer spring every year on my birthday. I have had an AD but not with my 1911 yet and I say yet. There is always a chance, I might do something stupid. Safe firearm handling is learned, that is what firing drills are for. I drill about every month or two at a local range. An empty chamber is a good thing it give me an extra second to think before I shoot. I can not take it back after I fire.

Over the last month I bought a Glock 19 and a Sig sp2340 in 357sig. I may put my 1911 away in the safe, maybe.

The only safety you need is the one on the end of your arm. I've seen all manner of unintentional discharges, yet to see one that was a mechanical failure.

I do enjoy the folks that [beeep] and moan that a glock has no safety, but have no issues carrying a fully loaded old style wheelgun without the transfer bar. I can't make a glock go off with a nuclear blast unless I pull the trigger but I can pop a round with the wheelgun from 5 feet way if I've got a stick in my hand.

Pretty much anything I carry is ready to roll the moment its in my hand including c&l 1911.

I’ve seen negligent/unintended discharges with all sorts of firearms. Dumbazzes will be dumbazzes and ignoring the basic gun safety rules will always get you trouble.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: OldTurtleADs usually happen when someone, even an experienced shooter, is either clearing or charging the weapon...We used to have officers that would clear their weapons in the locker room while they were changing from uniform to street clothes (or the opposite) and once in awhile one would happen...We had to finally outlaw that practice...Of course, days off without pay went right along with any such events...

I have carried a 1911 for over 40 years. I carry it cocked and locked "without" one in the chamber. I change the hammer spring every year on my birthday. I have had an AD but not with my 1911 yet and I say yet. There is always a chance, I might do something stupid. Safe firearm handling is learned, that is what firing drills are for. I drill about every month or two at a local range. An empty chamber is a good thing it give me an extra second to think before I shoot. I can not take it back after I fire.

Over the last month I bought a Glock 19 and a Sig sp2340 in 357sig. I may put my 1911 away in the safe, maybe.

I'm not real familiar with 1911s.... how do you carry one "locked and cocked" but don't have one in the chamber?

Originally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: OldTurtleADs usually happen when someone, even an experienced shooter, is either clearing or charging the weapon...We used to have officers that would clear their weapons in the locker room while they were changing from uniform to street clothes (or the opposite) and once in awhile one would happen...We had to finally outlaw that practice...Of course, days off without pay went right along with any such events...

I'm not real familiar with 1911s.... how do you carry one "locked and cocked" but don't have one in the chamber?

Is this a serious question?? If so... then you cock the hammer while the gun is empty,engage the safety and then insert a magazine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOK, what's the reason to carry one cocked and locked,but empty ?

Why not just carry hammer down if empty ?

I didn't get that either. Kinda defeats the purpose of cocked and locked to have to recock and relock whether hammer down or back and empty, unless you are just doing it for looks
smirk.gif

I hope I didnt come off as a wise guy with my post, but I couldnt figure out why someone would carry that way too, so I figured it must have been a joke. Maybe he worded it incorrectly.

I carry mine (when I carry) with none in the tube, hammer at half-cock, and locked. To operate the slide to load the weapon takes half as much effort, because the hammer is already started back, and when the slide returns home, the pistol is already aimed at the target. It is pretty fast, my hands are both in correct position, and the target is engaged. To top it off, there is no way that I can have a round fire by anything except me drawing the slide back and somehow having my finger on the trigger (which would be pretty stupid. Even if I DID fire it that way, at least the thing would be aimed in the general direction of the assailant I suppose, because by the time the slide gets home, as I said, I am already aimed.

Now if I have to draw VERY quickly, this would have a little of a problem, but so would travelling with one in the tube and the hammer down or at half mast. I would still be fumbling with the hammer.

I once had a policeman show me how to load a 1911 without using the left hand, he yanked it out of his holster, and as be brought it forward snagged the rear sight on a belt loop or something, it was very fast, but I can see that people likely shoot themselves like that.

Never understood those guys who don't trust Condition One on a 1911 yet will happily pack a Glock or something similar with a round chambered. Or, tromp all day over rough upland country hunting birds or small game with a shotgun and a shell in the chamber with a safety that is much less reliable than a 1911. The logic escapes me…

Like others have said most the time operator error. I have seen several AD shootings over the years and loading or unloading is when it seems to happen most. But it happens, I have seen a few police officer have bullet holes in them from a AD. That's why you always keep the muzzle in a safe direction because it can happen.

Thanks for the replies and it is a serious question.I have carried cocked and locked and have had people say did you know your hammer is back,or did you know your gun is cocked.I have asked several gun people and have yet to have anyone say they have had,or have first hand knowledge of an AD with a 1911 unless the shooter pulled the trigger.I have had several people tell of shooting the pistol by accident because they had their finger on the trigger when they loaded/pulled and released the slide.It seems it don't look safe to non gun people and some gun people,but it must be pretty safe.
I would like to hear any comments anyone has.I am not looking for anything in particular,just peoples experiences.

I've carried a 1911 cocked and locked for many years, more than 50, with out a problem. Many of my friends have also done it with out a problem. Now that I'm retired I carry a little bitty LC9, safety off, round in the chamber, right front pocket.

Back