Magazine capacity restriction list?

roky0702

Is there a state by state list of magazine capacity for hunting? I need to get a PRI mag for my 6.8 to shoot the new SSA 140gr. VLD bullets for bigger game and want to know if I go on a hunting trip out of state, should I get a 10 round mag or be safe and get a 5 rounder. I'm asking because I'm pretty sure MN doesn't have a limit.

None for rifles in PA, but also no semiauto rifles.

None in Utah

6 TOTAL rounds for big game in South Dakota
I believe no restrict for small game/preds.

No restriction in Oregon unless it's for game aninals (which includes cougar), then it's 5 rounds in the mag.

Last edited:

No mag restrictions in WI, and until the liberals get control
back, we are not likely to see one.
thumbup.gif

Squeeze

5 round mag. or plugged to only hold 5 rounds. You cant hunt with a high cap mag with only 5 rounds in it either. + 1 in the chamber here in Maine

Originally Posted By: roky0702Is there a state by state list of magazine capacity for hunting? I need to get a PRI mag for my 6.8 to shoot the new SSA 140gr. VLD bullets for bigger game and want to know if I go on a hunting trip out of state, should I get a 10 round mag or be safe and get a 5 rounder. I'm asking because I'm pretty sure MN doesn't have a limit.

This is a sensitive question/situation depending on where you are. I have taken caribou with my FN-FAL (.308), which has a standard cap of 20 rounds. Many people have asked "how many does the magazine hold", "20 rounds" I reply. But I am quick to follow up that a 20-rounder is $10 whereas a 5-rounder is $80 and has to be custom made. THAT stops even the anti's; seems everyone understands money.

You can plug a mag to self-limit as has been stated, but if worried you may be presenting an unwholesome (slob-hunter), image, just buy a smaller cap mag.

5 round mag is the same size (length) as a 10 round mag only has a block in it to limit to 5. Get the 10 round and block it yourself for hunting season.

Arizona HAD a five round MAX but it goes away this summer. It is weird to go shoot PD's with a five round mag in an AR but if I had a lever gun or the Remington pump that takes AR mags the sky was the limit.

I could've bought a Beta mag and the Remington pump. That would have stirred the GW's up!!
w00t.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: Swandog5 round mag is the same size (length) as a 10 round mag only has a block in it to limit to 5. Get the 10 round and block it yourself for hunting season.

Didn't know that, now I will for sure get one with the LEO discount through Brownell's. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210Idaho is 5 round big game and unlimited for coyotes and other vermin!!!

^^^ This is incorrect ^^^

Idaho does not have a magazine restriction for Big Game or Predators.

Back