PTR-MSG 91

I dont own the ptr, but I do own the cetme. I think they are pretty close. The rifle is weighty for a carbine. The trigger is bad, but I've felt worse. It is accurate for what it is. If you know where to look there is aftermarket stuff available. Thats all I got.

I used a PTR receiver to build my G3 clone. From what I have read PTR is using some H&K tooling that was imported from SA. There are a ton or parts out there for them, and 20 rd aluminum magazines can be had for $3-$5. from my experience all the H&K G3/91 parts will work on the PTRs

I decided the trade was a good deal for me so I now own one of the PTR-MSG 91 Sniper models.It is not the super sniper,it is the next one down which has 18" barrel instead of the 20".That is the only difference I can determine.It has rails so don't need claw mount for scope.I shot it a little yesterday and it did fine.The only glitch was that it did not pick up the last round of the mag and locked open.Only did that once so I don't know,could have been the mag I guess.I was shooting surplus ammo and accuracy was good at 200 yards,not sniper bolt rifle good but better than I was expecting.So far I am pleased.Recoil is mild but different than other rifles as it is made different so I might do a little better as I shoot it more.

I have heard he is good with this trigger.It is not as good as I would like but it is better that most stock AR triggers I have had.I may look into something as I learn more about the rifle.This is the first one of these I ever messed with.It is a different animal.

I have shot this rifle some and have not had any problems with it.Accuracy is good,not bench rest at all,but good.I have not shot anything but NATO stuff yet so that may be saying a lot for the rifle.PTR says the rifle needs 300 rounds or so for break in and I have not reached that yet.I have noted it gets hot quick in this hot weather and it does open up with a hot barrel.At first I was dreading breaking it down to clean it but that proved to be real easy.The trigger is getting a little better.For what it is for,it is good I think.I have E-mailed PTR with questions a couple of times and they responded the same day within a few hours which impressed me.

Fired some Federal Match ammo today.Rifle functioned fine and both son in law and I were able to hold an inch at 100 off a bipod on the makeshift bench.It needs a trigger job bad and I think that would help the group a little.Does anyone know off hand if there is a commercial trigger available?
I mean a comercial trigger that dont cost 800 to 1000 dollars.

Last edited:
Back