My homemade security cabinet.

Kingzero

With having two small children in the house, it is hard to just stash a weapon for home defense. My gun safe has a 4 digit combination and opening it in the dark in the middle of the night would be difficult to say the least.

I decided to make a security cabinet to hang in my closet that I can access using just a key. This is the result. It is all 3/16" steel and measures roughly 46"T x 13"W x 5"D. Just big enough for my Mossberg and a hand gun. It has a Medeco drill proof cam-lock and 3 point locking system with a hinge-side blocking plate, making it secure on all 4 sides. I used 4" weld on hinges with brass bushings and welded them so I could remove the door when opened. This was a must seeing as the box itself weighs close to 100lbs.
scared.gif

It ended up being a little overkill, but it will definitely keep my kids out.
thumbup1.gif

DSCF2990.jpg

DSCF2989.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

DSCF2991.jpg

Was that for a drop down ironing board? If so, I have one in my bedroom. I have thought about doing the same thing.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGWas that for a drop down ironing board? If so, I have one in my bedroom. I have thought about doing the same thing.

Not for an ironing board. It's all 3/16" plate steel and weighs over 120 lbs. These are the only pics of when I was building it. I made the box and the door jamb separate to make it easier to work on the locking system. Once it was working right, I welded the door jamb to the box. The outside is fully welded and the inside stitch welded.

cabinet1.jpg

cabinet2.jpg

cabinet3.jpg

Originally Posted By: pahntr760You should patent and sell that idea! I like it!

It's a nice piece, probably sellable, not patentable though.

Neat idea. I also believe in educating the kids about firearms. If they want to see them, let them. If they know that they do not need to sneak behind your back to see them, they are a lot less likely to do so. I never had a problem with my kids. I made sure they were not afraid to ask me.

Nice piece of work...I know that there are similar items on the market, but that one looks to be pretty bomb proof compared to most commercial ones...

Originally Posted By: reb8600Neat idea. I also believe in educating the kids about firearms. If they want to see them, let them. If they know that they do not need to sneak behind your back to see them, they are a lot less likely to do so. I never had a problem with my kids. I made sure they were not afraid to ask me.

That's what I did With my Kids. It Worked VERY well. I believe kids often play with guns because they are curious. If we take away the curiosity we remove the desire the play with guns.

I agree if you teach a child the respect and knowledge to handle a firearm the less you have to worry about later on. I started teaching my son from the time he was old enough to pick up his nerf rifle he is 7 now and I trust him more than some of the ones I work with and we deal with firearms daily!!!!

I like that little safe. Great idea. Teaching firearm safety is VERY IMPORTANT, but so is keeping other peoples hands off of your guns is too.

Although I do have a gun safe one of them would be great inside of a closet out of the sight of prying eyes.

How much did that set you back in materials and such?

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailOriginally Posted By: reb8600Neat idea. I also believe in educating the kids about firearms. If they want to see them, let them. If they know that they do not need to sneak behind your back to see them, they are a lot less likely to do so. I never had a problem with my kids. I made sure they were not afraid to ask me.

That's what I did With my Kids. It Worked VERY well. I believe kids often play with guns because they are curious. If we take away the curiosity we remove the desire the play with guns.

+1000!!!

If everyone knew/did this; the world would be a better place. Show them what they are, how they work. Go out of your way to let them handle it & know everything they want to about it. Teach them to respect it & handle it as they would a loaded/cocked mousetrap (most kids won't dare touch a loaded mousetrap, but will swing a gun around without thinking. Make sure they know which is more dangerous!).

Oh yeah... Great idea & product. Knowing me I would loose the key & have to get my son to let me in it
lol.gif

Thanks for the comments. I am trying to teach them, but my youngest is 3 and oldest turned 5 today. They are too young to fully grasp the dangers, therefore I don't feel safe leaving a loaded shotgun anywhere in the house without being locked up.

Every time I open my big safe, they are there asking me questions and watching intently. I let them hold them and constantly remind them of the dangers, but at this age there is only so much they can retain.

I have taken them with to pattern my shotgun and let them shoot my 10-22 while sitting on my lap. They are very curious and I look forward to taking my oldest on his first hunt when it cools off. My boys will know how to handle a firearm, but not before I think they are ready.

It was also for my wife to use. She has a hard time getting into the big safe and always wants me to leave her gun out if I am out of town. This way, as long as she can remember how to turn a key
rolleyes.gif
she can access her pistol.

Originally Posted By: gonzaga How much did that set you back in materials and such?

I already had most of the steel, so that helped cut down the cost. I think I am in it around 90 bucks including the carpet and lag bolts I hung it with.

I did a lot of custom interior work in college, anything from drywall repairs to installing "keggerators" in kid's houses. I did a few "wall inset units" (flush mount) like this, the most popular ones, I disguised as a return-air vent.

Nice work, good to see someone with enough DIY gusto to put something like this together for themselves.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGWas that for a drop down ironing board? If so, I have one in my bedroom. I have thought about doing the same thing.

me too!

lot of great comments about gun safety/awareness w/ kids....my kids could see a gun of mine leaned up against the wall and not even look twice, not that this was practiced, they just had shot them before and knew the jist of saftey and operation of them....but above all , they know the devistation of them!!!! nothing like proving the movie wrong by shooting a head of lettuce w/ a 12g at 10yrds or a big can of tomato soup w/ a high powered rifle at 20yrds or so.... puts it in perspective....

Back