Remington 700 Etronx?

Ridgeline17

Need some advice on the remington 700 Etronx 243? Im thinking about converting one to conventional primer.
w00t.gif
What do you all think?

The Etronx is the mother of all of Remington's many abortions. What a failure. It was the laughing stock of shot show when it was introduced. I still have an Etronx pin with the flashing Led lights that Remington gave away at Shot show. That pin is probably worth more than the gun.

If it can be converted cheaply and you can get it cheap enough, go for it.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Gonna cost me about $300 not including another HS stock

You have the cost of the gun ($300)

Plus the cost of another bolt ($175-ish)

Plus the cost of setting back the barrel and rechambering (~$200)

Plus the cost of a trigger ($120-ish)

Plus the cost of the stock...

You are now into it for a thousand dollars, and what do you have?

I would think, "Pass", and go buy what you want in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17So you can't just headspace the bolt,will have reset the barrel and rechamber? I thought i was gettin out of this easy.
cry.gif

No... bolts can't be headspaced - the only control over headspace is in fitting the barrel.

So you get a bolt, and THEN fit the barrel to the action. It cannot be done the other way around.

This is a project that cries out for financial pain and suffering
frown.gif
frown.gif

Now, you should call Remington and ask if they can fit a "standard" bolt to this gun - they do it differently - they fit the barrel on a production line, then the barreled action goes to a little munchkin who has a ton of bolts and tries them out with a chamber gauge until he finds one that fits - but you don't have a gillion bolts to try.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17As always Cat, thank you for the advice. I thought this would be short and sweet. Go ahead and say it,"ya greenhorn".

Go ahead and say it,"ya greenhorn"

Naw... we've all been there.

You should see the list of "Cool projects" that wound up biting me in the butt
frown.gif

... on second though, maybe you shouldn't!

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17One of these days, I'll get it right on this tinkering thing. Probably take me another 20 years but I will.
rolleyes.gif

"Probably take me another 20 years but... "

If you are lucky and a fast learner - it took me a lot longer than that
wink.gif

Etronx owners should file a class action lawsuit against Remington to retrofit these guns which are now basically useless. Midway USA's last price on primers was $209.99 for 1,000 with no back ordering available. Ammo has also been discontinued as far as I can tell.

Why anyone buys a new Remington is beyond me. They don't stand behind their products as can be seen with the 700 trigger lawsuit and the 597 recall/coupon exchange. Not to mention their products are not nearly the quality they were 30 years ago.

Anytime a corporation goes public or is bought out by a larger corp. as just an asset, the final product is usually what suffers in the name of short-term share holder profits.

I'll get off my high-horse now, Remington fan boys feel free to attack;)

As much as I'm gonna hate sayin this, Live for the brand. Now I know somebody is gonna bash me on this one, but just because your team is losing in a game doesn't mean that a start cheering for the other team. What I'm hopin to see is ATK sell the company to someone that gives a ****. Other than that have to roll with the punches. And the Etronx, well I guess it will make a good collectors item.
unsure.gif

Maybe you could sell/trade it on FleaBay. When I first saw the eletronic rifles, I said you got to be chitting me. I imagined the biggest buck of my life in front of me and a dead battery in my rifle.
cursing.gif

Well... Midway has CCI benchrest large rifle primers at $239.99 a thousand, the Etronx are cheaper at $209.99. They are higher than standard primers, but near zero lock time. The one I played with has a great trigger, and shot very well.

If I had a rifle that shot well, I'd stock up and not change a thing. Untill they quit making the primers at least.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: filmitEtronx owners should file a class action lawsuit against Remington to retrofit these guns which are now basically useless. Midway USA's last price on primers was $209.99 for 1,000 with no back ordering available. Ammo has also been discontinued as far as I can tell.

Why anyone buys a new Remington is beyond me. They don't stand behind their products as can be seen with the 700 trigger lawsuit and the 597 recall/coupon exchange. Not to mention their products are not nearly the quality they were 30 years ago.

Anytime a corporation goes public or is bought out by a larger corp. as just an asset, the final product is usually what suffers in the name of short-term share holder profits.

I'll get off my high-horse now, Remington fan boys feel free to attack;)

I think this is a little harsh - you have to remember the political environment that "Etronix" was born in.

There were more cries for gun control at that time, and instead of it being a criminal issue (no important democrats had been shot recently), they took on the safety issue....

GUNS WERE INHERENTLY UNSAFE!!

They were calling for secret code rings for handguns... and built in fingerprinting ID so the gun couldn't be fired by any other person, except the registered owner.

It was friggin' awful!!

This was Remington's effort to keep their company in business IF the laws passed.

The laws didn't pass, and Etronix became history. So lighten up and chill out. And there is no justification for a class action law suit - you need to do some research on law suits.

Because you don't like Remington, does not count in court.

"They don't stand behind their products as can be seen with the 700 trigger lawsuit."
What?? They replaced or repaired all of them that were returned.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWell... Midway has CCI benchrest large rifle primers at $239.99 a thousand, the Etronx are cheaper at $209.99. They are higher than standard primers, but near zero lock time. The one I played with has a great trigger, and shot very well.

If I had a rifle that shot well, I'd stock up and not change a thing. Until they quit making the primers at least.

I thunk you made a mistake - Etronix primers are 209.99 per 1000 That is 21 cents EACH.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/831855/...10-trays-of-100

CCI, BR-2 Benchrest primers are 52.99, or 5.3 cents EACH.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301118230/cci-large-rifle-bench-rest-primers-br2

And Remington 9-1/2 are 30.99, or 3.1 cents EACH...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601171305/remington-large-rifle-primers-9-1-2

That's a BIG difference.

I don't know anyone that wants to shoot handloads that cost more than factory
cursing.gif

Yep, my bad. 1000 ver. 5000 price. Sorry, it was late, I am going to have to buy primers again someday! I stockpiled a bunch years ago.

Back