Night Calling When You Can't Use Artificial Light

Ratzapper

How many of you folks call and hunt at night in states that don't allow artificial light? I hunt here in Missouri and find myself very limited in my hunting opportunities at night!...Usually full moon or snow on the ground are the only real options....I don't hunt with dogs so I can't use a light for coons or other furbearers.....(edited to add property statement)....I do own some acres land that I hunt on and it has a clear cut for high power lines that do allow greater visibility....So are there others here with my same dilema?

Last edited:
I actually re read my state's provisions today and it seems that I am allowed to use lights on my own property!!!
thumbup.gif
...But no where else!!!...But night vision is still illegal!!
thumbdown.gif
.....I hunt property in different states and it is hard to keep it all straight!!.....Heck Ya!!...I'm now ready to illuminate the woods and have a crack at it, after I talk to a conservation agent to verify my interpretation of the rule....But, it appears that I can't use an electronic call when using a light?....Will have to clear all of this up on Monday!.........(edited my cursing!)

Last edited:
I've killed my share of fox/coyote with a full moon out and fresh snow down. Under those conditions lights aren't necessary at all.

when I lived in Alaska I took a buck at 4:45 AM opening day on the top of a mountian, the sun would take 45 minutes to rise over the mountian tops and he was standing in a patch of snow, I'll never forget that hunt.

I sure can't understand why the law would be set to not use lights. To me it even seems to be a safety hazard. Seems like the only time i have heard of someone getting shot around here it had at least partly to do with not having any light turned on even though the law here in Ohio says you must have a light on at all times that can be seen at least 1/4 mile away. Maybe its some states human population control technique

Last edited:
I called the Missouri Dept. Conservation and talked to a representative about using lights to hunt furbearers on your own property at night........she said that you can not use lights!.......unless you hunt with dogs!.....oh well...back to the light of the moon!

I talked to the 2 DFG wardens up here a few months back to clarify a lot of grey areas.
In WY you cannot night hunt unless you have written & signed permision from the landowner and thats just on private land.
Public/BLM/Forestry is strictly a NO. NV is not allowed if there is a battery compartment on the unit, so NO IR lights at all. You can have a small flashlight & use it ONLY for walking to a set as it falls under their "hunter saftey" usage, but if you are caught using it waving around then its "spotlighting".
You can hunt at night under a full moon and ground covered in snow for your light though as its bright enough. Ive done that a few times, but you cannot have an illuminated reticle as its considered "artificial" light again.
Its not worth it to be caught up here doing it at all.

I would think it a safety issue if states do not allow you lights. Here in PA we can use any lights at night to predator hunt.

5 spd....

Your location shows WY. After reading all the BS you have to deal with I wonder if that's a typo?.... Did you mean NY?

Ratzapper,
Get your sportsmens clubs, gun clubs and any other clubs together and staart lobbying your Game Commission to change the laws about lights at night. Missouri has approx. 6 million population and here in Pa. it is about 13 million pop.
Tell them to look at other states and how they do things and check out the injuries/mishaps from night shooting with lights.
They will see there is no real reason not to change the law.
Couple years ago we could not use a light mounted on a gun. Had to hand hold the light. Our Pa Predator ASSN. kept after the legislators and we got that changed. Now we can have mounted lights on our weapons. DON"T GIVE UP.

You can use a gun mounted light in PA if it does not project a laser. keep at it, i love hunting under a bright moon with snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Gman757
5 spd....

Your location shows WY. After reading all the BS you have to deal with I wonder if that's a typo?.... Did you mean NY?

Nope its really WY, Every warden has his own interpitation of the written law still.

Back