IMR 8208 XBR and 223 loads

DiRTY DOG

IMR 8208 XBR has been out for a few years now but there doesn't seem to be much load info out there. Most search results turn up threads from 2010 when it first became availble. It's supposed to be very accurate and temperature insensative. So I thought I'd try it myself. All shots at 100 yards fired from a Savage 12 FV, glass bedded, bipod and rear sand bag, Nikon 6-18x40. I have not shot much lately, and I'm no expert, so my technique is less than perfect.

Rem 223
Winchester brass
Fed 205M primer
40gr Vmax
oal 2.220"
8208 XBR 26.0gr - 26.7gr
4c96f082.jpg

It was terribly windy but still shot well for the first time. The bare plywood backing tore up the target pretty good too. I loaded some more and tried again a few days later.

26.2gr - 26.7gr
c55ac533.jpg

Ok, they all shoot well, I think I'm leaning towards the faster loads. I loaded some more 26.7gr and 27.0gr and tried again.

27.0gr showed some flattening of the primers on 4/10 shots but it shot well. I backed down to 26.7gr and that seems to be working well. First target, 5-shots (3 in the left hole, 2 in the right hole):
4a8b750d.jpg

9cb10f19.jpg

2e62dd9d.jpg

f21cb09c.jpg

Last target of the day, 1moa high and 1moa low of diamond. Barrel was pretty hot, I shoot quickly.
2473a0a2.jpg

CONCLUSION: Still need a little more testing, maybe mess with the oal a little. ALL 5-shot groups were less than 1". This powder shoots well with several different loads. 26.2gr and 26.7gr shot the best, and I'm sticking with the higher velocity load for hunting. I have not chrono'd the loads yet but it should be around 3660fps.

I am shooting that powder in my 6.5 grendel AR with great results. I have started on my .223 with similiar results and going to load it some in my .204 AR as well. What I like about the powder is it is temp sensitive. And it burns super clean. My barrels and BCG are not near as dirty with this powder. I love it... Love it so much I bought a 8 lb. jug...

8208xbr is a great powder.
thumbup.gif

I load it in several different cases with similar results as yours.

And those little V-Max,s, wicked good stuff there!

Enjoy.

It's my go to powder anymore in my 223 with 55gr pills and a charge of 24.5 gets me one hole groups. I too bought it in 8lbs jug and will buy another once this one is gone! So far I have loaded 223,243,6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor all with great results. Feel kinda bad as I have 3lbs of Benchmark just collecting dust now.

Looking good Dog, I goota some some more 40 Vmax's

I love XBR

This is the norm from my RRA 16" and also my SD 18"

Picture036.jpg

My best so far from the RRA

Picture058.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmpowderIt's my go to powder anymore in my 223 with 55gr pills and a charge of 24.5 gets me one hole groups. I too bought it in 8lbs jug and will buy another once this one is gone! So far I have loaded 223,243,6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor all with great results. Feel kinda bad as I have 3lbs of Benchmark just collecting dust now.

.243? I called them less than a year ago and they said it was not good for that cartridge. Did they come out with a starting load for it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UtahShooterOriginally Posted By: dmpowderIt's my go to powder anymore in my 223 with 55gr pills and a charge of 24.5 gets me one hole groups. I too bought it in 8lbs jug and will buy another once this one is gone! So far I have loaded 223,243,6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor all with great results. Feel kinda bad as I have 3lbs of Benchmark just collecting dust now.

.243? I called them less than a year ago and they said it was not good for that cartridge. Did they come out with a starting load for it?

You bet, up to 80gr bullets. Works pretty good in the 22-250 as well.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Utahshooter a lot of people are even using it in 308's also. There is a decent list over on the hide of all the calibers people are using it on. It's not good with the heavy pills but with smaller pills in kicks [beeep]. Well maybe I should take that back as it done good with 142gr pills in my Creedmoor. But with the 243 I use 41grs of it to push the 65 vmax and it nets me .4 at a 100 yards for 5 shoots.

Have also started using ARcomp in the 243 with 85gr pills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GaryLCIt works very well in my .30-30 too.

Since I will be loading for my 336 Marlin soon
What is load work up so far ?

I use it with 160 gr. Hornady flex tips. I don't have the charge weights with me right now, but I ended up slightly over Hogdon's published max but not by much. The hotter I loaded it, the better the accuracy got. My loads print very consistent sub-moa groups, and point of impact has not varied at all from winter cold to summer heat. My loads are running about 100 fps slower than factory Leverevolution ammo.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderUtahshooter a lot of people are even using it in 308's also. There is a decent list over on the hide of all the calibers people are using it on. It's not good with the heavy pills but with smaller pills in kicks [beeep]. Well maybe I should take that back as it done good with 142gr pills in my Creedmoor. But with the 243 I use 41grs of it to push the 65 vmax and it nets me .4 at a 100 yards for 5 shoots.

Have also started using ARcomp in the 243 with 85gr pills.

Have not used xbr but +1 on ARcomp. Has worked great in my. 223 rem 700 tactical and my UMAR 22 250

Hodgdon's load data now has listings for xbr for just about everything. I have a batch of 168smks over 8208 for the -06 sitting in a box waiting for a calm, not blisteringly hot day.

Here is a group from my Coyote carbine at 100 yrds.
40 gr vmax, CCI primer, IMR 8208 XBR
Flier is first shot out of clean barrel

RRA40grV-max100yrds.jpg

Back