RCBS Partner Press

Yoteless in Ohio

I was getting ready to order a Lee precision loader "C" shaped press for 29.99 when I saw an RCBS Partner press for $92.99.

I dont load much, just am looking to develop some .223 rounds for my AR. I always used the little lee loader kits and they serve me well, but they dont size well enough for the AR. Single stage is going to be fine for me.

Should I spend the extra $60 for the RCBS? It is important that whatever I get will full length size my shells from what I can tell. I plan to get RCBS dies.

Last edited:
the dies is what does the sizing, not the press.if you get full length dies,in any press you should be good to go.i have rcbs full lenght dies for my ar with lee press,not 1 single prod.

If I were you I would pop for the Partner press. I started with a Partner press and only upgraded because I went from loading 06's to 300 Win. Mag. Less flex in the press.

Personally I would not own a Lee Press of any kind. Ya get what you pay for.

DAB

Thanks. I am trying to hold off on reloading. I want to try a couple more factory ammo's first I think. But I think I will end up rolling my own like I do for my bolt actions.

Heck, I still cannot decide between vmax and soft points for coyotes....

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by trying to hold off reloading. It sounds like you're doing that already. What equipment do you currently have? Scale? Powder measure? Case trimming?

If you're pretty well set in those areas, you don't need much more. Most of my current kit is Lee and I have no big complaints. It works a LOT better than it either looks or feels and on performance compares favorably with the RCBS Jr. I learned on in the dark ages.

Right now, if I were going to spend $100 on a press, I'd probably add $70 to that and spring for a Redding Big Boss II (on sale at Midway). Functionally, I suspect it's not all that much better than Lee Classic, but for $70 I'd probably bite.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the lee classic "D" presses and one "C" press. I would recommend the classic presses to anyone as they are heavy duty and do not flex. the "C" press tend to flex a little and everything varies by several thousandths. I would choose either the lee classic press or the RCBS partner. Bottom line is make sure you get a good set of dies. RCBS dies are really one of the best.

You get what you pay for! There is an obvious difference between the two presses, although I'd go for the RCBS Rockchucker if I were you as in the future, you might just want to move up in reloading. I've personally been down that road in years passed and ended up giving that other model away because it was pure junk.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoYou get what you pay for! There is an obvious difference between the two presses, although I'd go for the RCBS Rockchucker if I were you as in the future, you might just want to move up in reloading. I've personally been down that road in years passed and ended up giving that other model away because it was pure junk.

+1 agreed...
the partner and the lees have no "bottom"...theres 2 lil buttons that protrude and stop the press....those buttons wear into the metal and make the press vary w/ each stroke....IMO this wont matter with sizeing since the shellholder meets the press...but when seating were typicaly the shellholder doesnt touch the press,...your asking for a lot of varied lengths....IME/IMO.....

All good info, thanks. I have everything but the dies and press, as I use the lee loader caliber specific kits and until I got my AR, they served me very well across five different calibers. I have the trimmer, hand primer, scale, trickler, etc...But the lee kits don't size full length so rounds won't fit in my semi auto.

I am going to try a couple other brands of bullets and if I find that magic round for my gun that way, then I will just go with factory ammo.

I started out with the partner press, used it for a couple of year. I loaded thousands of rounds with it. I really like it, and still have it set up on my bench.

I ended up upgraded to the rockchucker, and a piggyback II, and have a redding turret too. If I was starting over again, I would probabbly start with a turret myself.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with RCBS, specifically the partner press that you asked about. I have only used a few lee items, and have never been impressed with any it, some guys are though.

Just got a rockchucker and cant figure out why I didnt get it sooner. I was using a Pacific press that is about 60 years old. It finally broke and forced me to switch.

If you're intent on the Partner, Midway has them for $80. Before you buy, read the reviews of it the RC II and the Lee Classic and think carefully about what you may want to do down the road.

I went back and re-read them and have talked myself out of "upgrading" my Challenger to an RC II or Redding. The Classic goes on sale for under $100 every six months or so. Next time or the next, that's on the wish list. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Back