motion activated ir light

Mr Benelli

anyone seen a battery operated motion activated ir light to put above a bait pile?

this way i can just turn on the pvs14 and see if something is in the bait area.

thanks

Mr Benelli....

It seems you would be constantly cycling your PVS 14 with that setup.

Maybe one of these might work for you.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sp...=470404&e=Y

If you want to take it a step further you could use one of these and see exactly what is there before you turn on your PVS 14. (provided you get cell coverage at the bait pile)

It will send a pic to your cell phone ...... Usually in a minute or less.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/328866/hco-uovision-um562-wireless-game-camera-50-megapixel-green

Last edited:
Gman thanks. I found a dakota system. Here is the link. Dakota motion

I have the cameras but sometimes a minute is too long. I want the ir light so they get use to it and dont see the ir glow from my direction. I had a fox last night who didnt like it ir light from 150 yards away. Luna. He is really spooky because i have killed his partner in the same spot.

Is it better to leave nv on for hour then cycle every 15 min or so?

I always had the criitters focus on the glow from the 805 nm Luna emitter. That's why I switched to the EagleTAC ir flashlight.

I can't rememberr from past posts if you bought one of those. If you did you could mount it on a cheap tripod where it will flood your bait pile with ir light. The 18650 battery should last quite a while especially if you can use the lower setting. I know that Baystate has one, you might borrow his to try.

You could use the motion detectors then just turn on the pvs14 when the fox shows up or just leave it on to observe. I have never used a pvs14 but it seems that you would be able to shoot with the light from the EagleTAC and not turn on the Luna emitter if it's spooking the fox. Or maybe watch thru your scope and turn on the Luna for the shot.

Eagle tac works great but in this situation the lua works great. Dark area with lots of trees in background. 150 yard shot through a fence. The luna will let me zoom to 15 power on my swatvo z6 2.5 to 15 and pvs14. The eagle tac will only let me get to 11 to 12 power before i get blooming or distortion on this scope-all scopes are different. My tasco i can go to 18 power. Not a bad idea with eagle tac leaving it on low power thanks...ill let you know how i make out with dakota..

Mr Benelli....

What I meant was to set the EagleTAC up on a tripod about 50 yards from the bait pile and just leave it on. Let it flood the bait area with ir light. Sort of like the feeder lights that guys use for hogs at night.

If you cannot see well enough for a shot with this setup then turn on the Luna for the kill shot.

Last edited:

With a bit of searching, you can probably find a motion activated switch and wire it into an IR light - if that's what you want.
There are other options, however, that you might want to consider. Just depends on what you want and what will work well for you.

There's a good discussion of IR lights in the baiting section. It may take a while to read through it all, but might be of some help to you.

I have a Gen 1 scope which needs a lot of light compared to your scope, but this sytem works well for me. I'm sure your scope will
see much better than mine with less light.

Will your scope see 940 nm? If so, there are IR lights available on Ebay, DC powered, that operate at that level, and you would be
more covert. Personally, that's what I would like for my Gen 1 scope, but I don't think it will see well at 940 nm. The small lights I have
been using are 850 nm. They do give off a red glow, not strong, but can be seen if you are up close and looking directly into them.
Some coyotes are skiddish at the lights and others not as much.

You might also consider a remote control DC switch to turn your light / lights on and off when you want. You wouldn't need a
motion-activated unit unless that's specifically what you want. I have been using 5 IR lights at my site. Each has 48 LEDs, it's
own photo cell and gives off a lot of light. The reason I have been using 5 lights is for video purposes. For shooting, one light
would be all I would need. They are inexpensive on Ebay.

I use a Driveway Patrol sensor to alert me when something is on the bait. It is DC operated.

The IR lights in the coyote video clip were clustered too close together. I have since
rotated them to spread the illumination to cover a broader area. IR lighting and baiting
has been a work in progress for me over the course of two seasons. I have learned a lot
through trial and errror, and borrowing ideas from others on the forum.

Baiting is not as easy as many think. It's an art form unto itself. I have found it to be
just about as difficult to do as calling. I love calling coyotes, but baiting adds just
one more dimension to it, and in my case, with limited access to huntable land now, baiting
is the best way for me to hunt them.

Here is an example of how IR lights assist a trail camera, which also helps
a video camera with night shot, which also helps a night vision rifle scope.

Here's reading that might be of some help.

My setup

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...243&page=52

Sensor / driveway patrol

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...243&page=62

Good luck. Keep us posted.

you could use a trail cam. they have motion detector IR built into them. I have hunted over a dead deer with a trail cam also setup over the deer and when a yote came up, we actually caught the kill on the trail cam and the IR lit up which looked like a spotlight through night vision which gives you what you want.

or you could just throw one of these on the ground but it's not IR
http://www.texasdirecthunting.com/servlet/the-109/ewt-kill-light-led/Detail

That's a good point, Shurshot. The IR from the trail camera does illuminate well enough to take a shot, and it is motion activated. Problem is, for me at least, the length of time it operates. Mine will take 30-second video clips, so you have to get settled in quickly for taking a shot. The biggest problem I would have with using my camera is that by the time a sensor "wakes me up" and I get into position, the video clip is finished, the camera turns off, no light, then has a down time before it reactivates itself. While that's not a great problem, it could possible cost you a coyote. Having those IR lights running is the cat's meow. They illuminate very well, and cover a much wider area than the camera does.

I purchased the 240 foot white one from supercircuits, but ended up returning it. It sounds good in the ad, but didn't pan out for casting a light any distance. I had high hopes for it to throw a beam about 45-50 yards, but it wouldn't do it well enough. I think if you mount a light like this at the bait site, then it will be fine, but for throwing a beam for a distance, it didn't work - with my Gen 1 scope, that is. The small IR lights I have been using (cost about $11.00 each or so) work great when used at the bait site. I haven't found anything better yet, and I've tried several different lights, including IR filters.

Gman,

That's a great looking light and a good price. For use with an IR filter, I think the 15 mil. candle power will be too much and maybe melt the filter. Maybe this one is different than mine, the filter I have is recommended for use with 2 mil CP or less. Have you used the filter with it? Do you know the nm of the filter?

Thanks for a word about that. Looks like a good light.

6mm....

I had an ir filter cut to go on top of the clear lens. I have never taken time to silicone it in or test it. I cannot remember the nm either. It fits flush inside and is fairly thick.

I wouldn't anticipate any issues with heat as HID lights are gas discharge and do not use a filament so they run cooler.

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long to get back with you all. Glow sticks is a great idea to test and get the fox and yote welcome to the ir light. So far i have a fox who doesnt like it. Gman the website on the ir lights is a lot of help. Thanks.

I tested the dakota driveway alarm the one with the walkie talky version and it works at 160 yards...cant give feedback yet on quality and battery info.

Back